Chapter 9: Infection

Let the battle begin.

The creature prowled around you both like a giant Cerberus....only with one, small head. But that didn't stop you both from trying to defeat this thing. Though, in your own thoughts you felt slightly helpless only having one functioning arm. It was hard to handle a gun with one hand so that was a no. Your knife wasn't gonna do shit against this monstrosity. So Jill came up with a plan, a dangerous one at that.

You were gonna be meant as a decoy for the creature to try and kill while Jill went around the side and fired mine rounds at it. She mercilessly fired round after round at it as you got away, it solely being focused on her.

It was hard to get around, given the small circle you placed yourself into for this battle. But it was also in your favor because it kept the creature contained to a small area. Letting Jill try and kill it, you scavenged for supplies. You eventually came across a grenade, and because your dad was a U.S. veteran he taught you how to use one if ever in a extremely dangerous situation. So, you shouted at Jill to move, signalling that you had a grenade. She shot at the creature once more, putting it on hold for a moment as she sprinted over to you. As she did, you mumbled to yourself.

"This is for you dad, wherever you are."

Holding down the lever, you pulled the pin with your teeth before spitting it onto the ground. When Jill got close enough, you lobbed the grenade as hard as you were able to. It landed at the foot of the creature just as it got up and exploded a moment later.  As it exploded, a picture of your dad from the military flashed in your eyesight. You still wanted to find him

It fell limp after a moment, finally being defeated. You hoped so anyway, this thing was getting really annoying. As you both went over to check if it was really dead, Jill pulled out her radio and tried to get a hold of Carlos. After not getting a reply, she grunted and you sighed softly.

As you both looked ahead, you saw a way out and walked towards it. Now being able to leave, you felt a bit better not having anything on your back for the time being.

Or so you thought.

As soon as you both were a few feet into the alley, Jill was swept out from underneath her feet.

"JILL!" You shouted, reaching out for her.

"Stay back!" She yelled back, firing at that thing with her pistol. Then she looked up and saw that there was a chain holding open the gate and she shot at it. The gate came crashing down, completely tearing off the arm that it was dragging Jill with. She crawled out from under its grasp as it howled and roared with pain. You quickly went over to Jill as she fell against the wall, helping her to get away. As you looked back, you watched with horror as the creature grew a whole new appendage. 

"Oh shit-" Was all you could manage before it slid the tentacle like arm through the bars of the gate and hit Jill in the arm.

A needle like object stuck out of her arm and she pulled it out. She started to stumble a bit, looking in a drunken like state before falling backwards. You caught her before she hit the ground too hard and gently letting her down. She started coughing and wheezing, being almost completely out of breath. Then you heard a familiar voice you wished you hadn't.

"Interesting. You've both done me a huge favor."

After that, Jill ceased coughing and went limp.

Nicholai. You should've known.

You growled and sprung up for the gate, your knife out in hand in hopes to attack him. He saw this and started to walk away, a devilish smirk plastered on his lips.