Chapter 10: Rest in Peace

You took one last glance at Jill before exiting the room. You were gonna find that vaccine.

The two of you walked around the open lobbing for a bit before Carlos turned on the ear piece like a radio. You listened in close as the two briefly spoke.

"Tyrell, where's Bard now?"

"Gotta be in the lab in the back. Stay frosty, I'm on my way."

"Copy, we'll go on ahead."

Turning it back off, he look at you before speaking.

"You heard the man. Let's find that lab." Carlos said, you nodding with determination.

With that, you pushed through some double doors and made your way forward.

The two of you cleared the hospital, mowing down infected. You managed to kill a few on your own with your own tactics, but with Carlos' semi automatic he cleared them out fast. You found plenty of supplies, feeling more well equipped with a few more melee weapons you manged to scavenge up. 

Everything was going just fine until you both were clearing the final rooms.

Carlos opened up another door, this room looking so much different than the others. This had to be the lab. But....why didn't your father say something when you both walked in? Surely he would've heard the door open....right?

As Carlos swept one side you the room, you went around the corner to sweep the other. That's when you saw someone slumped over in a chair. You felt a pit in your stomach, fearing for the worst. You slowly turned the chair around....

...and your father was shot dead.

Everything around you stopped.

Your father was the only family you had left, and now he's gone.

You dropped your knife, your eyes welling up with tears. The metallic object hit the floor, it being the only sound in the room. When Carlos heard this, he rushed over speaking up.

"Is everything alri- oh God.."

Carlos saw what happened and you dropped to your knees, tears silently rolling down your face. Your breath became shaky and unstable as the world completely fell around you.

"Why.....why'd you have to go?" You asked softly, your voice slightly hoarse from crying. 

Carlos came at your side, kneeling down next to you. He put an arm around you, feeling your pain. You looked up beside you, tossing your arm around his waist in a hug. He put down his stuff and sat there with you, keeping you close. You were so grateful he was with you, otherwise you would've had a mental breakdown. After several minutes of crying, you pulled back from the hug. You wiped your tears away, looking at Carlos.

"..Thanks....I needed that.."  You said softly.

"Its no problem...you gonna be okay?"

"Maybe...I'll make it though."

Carlos nodded, pulling his hand up to his ear piece.

"Tyrell, Bard's dead. He's been shot."

"Shit, what about the vaccine?"

"We're gonna keep looking."

Carlos grabbed his stuff before standing up. He reached his arm out to your good one and you took up, getting pulled to your feet. Carlos glanced at the desk, seeing a few papers scattered about. One caught his attention though. It was a piece of paper folded over once, though he didn't open it. He handed it to you and you saw why. Your name was written across it. You opened it up as Carlos stepped away, looking for the vaccine. Inside was a short but detailed letter from your father before he passed. It read:

Dear Y/N,

                I don't know if you'll ever see this, but if you do I just wanted to say its too late for me and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I kept my job a secret, I knew you would hate me because of all the backlash Umbrella had been getting. How you said Umbrella would kill us all if they weren't careful. But I have been doing the complete opposite. I made a single vaccine to help stop this mess. Take my creation and use it for good. Save a life, for me. Whether it is your own or someone else. I want to see it work, even if its from a distance. Stay safe out there champ. I'm watching over you.

-Dad

You sighed softly, yet heavily. You put the note in your bag as a last remembrance of your father. You walked over to where Carlos was,  hunched over by a computer. He looked annoyed, trying to think about something. When you saw the screen, you saw a password box. Carlos saw you looking and spoke up.

"It's an all numbers code. I don't remember seeing it anywhere..."

You thought for a moment before lighting up with an idea.

"Here, let me try something."

Carlos moved to the side as you stood in front of the computer now. You typed in several numbers and hit enter. That's when the door on your right turned green and came open.

"I'll be damned. What was the password?" Carlos said, looking at you puzzled.

"My birthday. He always told me that he would do anything to keep me in his memory...that and it was always easy to remember for him."

You both smiled a little bit as you entered the now open door. As soon as the door was all the way open, a rush of cold air came out at you two. Chilling as it was, the freezer area wasn't big. You went to the other side of the room and saw an open cabinet-freezer thing. The only thing inside? A single vaccine. The one your dad talked about. Carlos took it and you looked up at him.

"Let's go save a life." You said, as you left the lab to go back to Jill. 

---------------10 Minutes Later---------------

You went through the door and into the room Jill was in. Going at her bedside, Carlos turned Jill on her side and pulled out the vaccine. Uncapping it, he stuck the needle in her arm and injected the components inside. Afterwards, he pulled it out and turned her on her back once more. The two of you looked at each other, thinking the same thing.

Please let this work.

1,024 Words

((Hey everyone! Now I know this isn't as any words as I normally write, but it was fitting to leave it off there. Cut me some slack though, it's still over a thousand words. But how did everyone like this chapter? It's so much more down to earth than I thought it was going to be. Though, it is nice to break away from the chaos that always ensues every other chapter. Still, it was fun to write as always. Well that's all I have to say, see you guys in the next chapter!           ~Galaxy