Chapter 1

"What are you wearing, Natsu? You can't go out in public in that!" Mom exclaims, as I run a brush through my hair.

"Mom, it's just clothing, calm down." I roll my eyes. I know why she's pestering me even before she can say it. It's always the same when it comes to my clothes.

"How do you except to find a husband?" She whines.

"Mom, I'm only twenty-two. I have plenty of time to get married." I groan loudly, making my way to the entrance. Still, the woman persists and she follows behind me whining. It's the same petty comments said over and over, she always tells me that I need to get married while I'm young, beautiful, and can easily have children. All of the reasons you could expect from any nagging mother.

"Mom, I'm not probably even going to get married! I can't even hug most men, and out of the four that I can, I'm not marrying any of them." I scoff before pulling on my winter coat over the clothes she complained about.

"Oh I'm sure if you made yourself look like an actual woman and not a child, and didn't act silly around them, they'd be interested in you." She squeaks back at me as I fumble around the foyer looking for my boots.

"Wearing old clothing that you can barely see under my coat isn't the reason they're not interested." I shoot her one final glare before slipping out of the front door and out into the frozen air.

"Oh, it's you." Hatori sniffs from behind the front door that he refuses to open.

"Doctor, your patient is here to pick up her medication, stop acting like this isn't your job for people to come bother you." I remind him, forcing myself into the home.

"I was in the middle of something important can you at least wait in the living room for a moment!" He argues as I B-line to his office.

"How important is it that you can't stop for a few seconds and get me my pills? You aren't even wearing gloves or a Doctor mask, stop being dramatic." I cross into his office and snap to an abrupt stop, across the room a young woman sits in a nurse coat.

"Oh, you have a visitor. Why didn't you say that?" I know her face, I'm certain of it. She must be extended family or a worker at the Sohma General Hospital.

"I did." Hatori says. "Kana have you met Natsu before? Natsu this is Kana Sohma, my new assistant."

Someone had told me that Hatori was looking for an assistant, which didn't surprise me. He's still fairly fresh out of medical school so I could see why he'd need one as the only Family Doctor.

"No, I don't think we have. It's a pleasure to meet you, Natsu. Are you Yumi Sohma's daughter? I met her the other day when I was out and she spoke about a daughter around my age." Kana speaks softly, she could so easily be drowned out if someone decided to. She speaks in a way I've been told to, but ultimately can't in my attempt to be heard over the ruckus of this family. She's also beautiful, more so than myself, with her rounded features and short hair, Kana looks like a sweet treat.

"The one and only. I apologize if my mother was a lot or overbearing, it's all she knows." The snide remark makes Hatori roll his eyes like normal.

"Natsu, while I usually allow you to hang around and annoy me, I need to show Kana the ropes." He firmly hands my prescription over with a clear sign that I've overstayed my welcome plastered across his face.

"I wasn't planning on wasting my time on you, Hatori." I laugh. "I have better things to do than listen to you ramble about paperwork and anatomy."

"Don't forget your coat." He reminds me, not bothering to escort me out.

"I won't."

"You look miserable Natsu. Are you being dramatic over nothing?" Akito asks as I sit with him and Kureno for tea. The Rooster discreetly glances over at me, curious to see my response.

"No, I'm not miserable or being dramatic. Just having a lousy day." I nervously chuckle, praying he'll take my answer for what it is and leave me alone. Because, in all honestly I wasn't aware of the fact that I looked off, I had been so out of focus thinking about Kana and Hatori.

"Lying isn't a good look on you, Natsu." Akito tells me before wheezing out a cough.

"I'm telling the truth." I grit my teeth and fix my eyes on him, trying not to get backed into a wall by him. "I didn't take my medication this morning and so my day has been miserable."

I am telling Akito the truth, my day has sucked, and my lack of medication didn't help either. But I don't have to tell him why I'm so unfocused and feel funny, he doesn't deserve to know that.