Chapter 6

"This was so nice of you, Natsu." Kana smiles as I stir my tea.

"No problem Kana. I feel like I've barely gotten to know you, except for what Mayu has told me." I plaster a fake smile on my face.

After Hatori kept urging me to be friendlier with Kana. And telling me that she was a lot more like me than I realized, I invited her out to lunch. "It still seems so weird, that we have some of the same friends, and family, and yet, until I started working for Hatori-kun, I didn't even know who you were."

"It is kinda funny, I do admit." I chuckle.

"So, was it Mayu-chan, who convinced you to become a teacher?" She asks, the eagerness in her voice annoys me a bit. Do I act like this?

"Yes, she did help push me in that direction." I take a sip of my tea. "And what about you? What encouraged you to go into medical school?"

"I don't really know. I guess it was the thought of being able to help people was the main thing. I hope to go back into school to become a children's doctor." She explains.

"So, then, you have an interest in children?" I ask. Of course she does. 

"Yes. My dream is to get married and have at least three kids." She smiles. She really is like me. I used to say things like that all the time when I was younger. And then I got a swift kick in the butt with realization that marriage and stuff like that, isn't for me. Especially since I'm stuck in a one-sided relationship with the only man I could ever think of marrying.

"At least? That's a lot, don't you think?" I ask.

"My parents always say that. But, I think it's fine. Although, my ideal is probably four. Even numbers are always nice." 

"Ah. So, Kana, do you have anyone special in your life? A man you could, potentially marry?" I ask.

"Well, can I tell you a secret?" She shifts in her seat.

"Of course. I'm a wonderful secret keeper. Mainly because I tend to forget." I laugh.

"Okay, I don't know how to say this, but, I have a crush on Hatori-kun. He's just so kind, and gentle. And not to mention, handsome. I just, I absolutely love him." She gushes.

My heart stops for a second. My mind is reeling. And my throat is constricting. Of course she loves him. Of course she has a crush on him. 

"He is a very kind man. Any woman would be lucky to have him." I admit. I try to keep from looking like I care. But I have a feeling she can see it.

"But, I don't think he'd ever like me. He made it very clear to me that he has no plans on getting married or having a life of happiness. Which worries me." I need an excuse to get out of here. I can't stay here. I need to get going. I need to leave. I don't want to freak out right here and start screaming at her. I need to...

My phone starts ringing. Which means I have more time until I have to speak to her about his reasons.

"Uh, hello?"

"Natsu! One of your college mates is here, saying that ya'll had had plans to go out this afternoon! Where are you!" Mom shrieks over the phone.

"Plans? Mom what are you talking about?" I ask, unsure of what's going on.

"Natsu, you said we'd go see The Hollowed Body this afternoon. And before we'd see it you'd help me with swimsuit shopping." A friend from college, Momo Yasuo, says over the phone.

My eyes widen. I completely forgot about hanging out with Momo. I've just, my head has been somewhere else completely the past few days. "Oh my gosh, Momo. I completely forgot about it. I'm sorry, I have been so uh, not in the right places. I can get to the house, in, if I run, fifteen minutes."

"Take your time to get here. Just, please don't forget the next time I make plans with you." She sighs. She's one to talk. Momo forgets these kinds of things all the time. 

"I promise you, I won't." I turn my phone off. "I know this is very rude, but I forgot that I had already made plans with someone from college, and I'm running late."

"Oh, no, not at all. Go, be with you friend. I can take care of things here." Kana smiles. I hate that smile. 

I get into the house and hear two voices talking. One of the voice's belongs to Momo... and the other, to Shigure? "That can't be right, Shigure never comes by the house. Him or his parents." 

I enter the kitchen and behold, it is the dog himself. "What the heck are you doing here?" 

"I had to bring some mail, that had gotten delivered to my place." He shrugs. "But I gotta get going now."

I look from him to Momo, who's face is red from who knows what.  He begins to laugh, "um, tell your mom, Natsu, that she has a great snack selection."

Momo snorts, and then the two of them burst out in laughter. I look around the room, unsure of what they could be laughing at so hard, and then my eyes land on Mom's homemade Animal Crackers. And the only person in the whole wide world who likes them, is Kisa. And that's why Mom keeps making them, even though they're horrible.

"Oh....." I quietly say as Shigure turns to leave.

"It was nice getting to meet you, Momo." He winks.

"And you." She tries to hold in her laughter for a moment. 

"WHAT WAS THAT!?!" I shout once Shigure leaves.

"What?" She acts like that right there was nothing. Yes, Shigure flirts with like any woman who he comes in contact with. But that, THAT WAS THE NEXT LEVEL!

"First, Kana with Hatori, and now my best friend is flirting up a storm, and clearly interested in my cousin! WHAT NEXT! Is Mayuko going to come into the room and confess her undying love for AYAME!" I shout. Silence fills the room. And Momo has the most awkward face on.

"What?" I ask.

"What about Kana?" Hatori says from behind me. 

I spin on my heel and nearly hit him with my hand, he's so close to me. His face is only about a few inches away from mine, minus the big height difference. "Uh, she uh, she thinks that you're a wonderful boss."

He glares at me. "Dang, way to spill the beans, Natsu." Momo says from behind.

I knew only one thing at that moment in time, I was in serious trouble....