Tradition

Demetria's P.O.V.:

Reaching the bottom of the steps, we notice that all the lights are off. The whole room looks empty, uninhabited. I look around and see the adults hiding. "Why are they h—" Before I could finish my sentence, Jon grabs me and Damian by the arm and flies up towards the ceiling. Reaching the ceiling, I find other adults floating nearby, holding a bunch of colorful strings. "Jon, what's going on," I whisper.

"We're going to surprise him," he whispers back.

"Let go of me," Damian growls, thrashing around.

"Stop moving," Jon complains. "I'm going to drop both of you if you keep moving."

As Damian continues to thrash around in protest of Jon carrying him, we hear a car pull up to the driveway, causing him to freeze. 

"They're here," someone whispers.

Through the large windows, I see three people walk out. A guy with red hair and green eyes walks out of the driver's seat with a smile. From the passenger's seat is a woman with reddish-orange hair, green eyes, and...orange skin? or is she tanned? As I'm staring at the woman, someone else catches my eye. In the back seat, the red-haired male pulls out Dick, who's wearing a blindfold. The mysterious woman and male stand beside Dick and begin to drag him up the stairs to the manor. The whole room gets silent as they approach the doors of the manor. The door opens, revealing the three figures, with a still blindfolded Dick in between. 

"Can I take the blindfold off now?" Dick asks. "I still need to use to the bathroom."

"Take it off, you big baby," the red-haired boy says, hitting him in the back of his head.

Dick slowly takes off his blindfold. Once his blindfold is taken off, the lights immediately turn back on as everyone jumps out of their spots screaming 'Surprise'. Everyone releases the streamers and confetti, some even blow into their party blowers once the lights had turned on.

As for me and Damian, we didn't do any of that. We didn't get the chance to. Once the lights had turned on, Jon, in excitement, raises his hands and screams 'surprise' with the rest of the group. His overload of excitement had caused him to release his grip on us, causing us to plummet towards the ground, which mind you, is a couple of yards down. Damian and I quickly adjust our bodies to a rolling stop. As we roll across the floor to prevent ourselves from getting bruised, we stop right in front of a surprised and amused Dick.

"Happy Birthday," I say, holding out the sash and in my hand. I look at Damian who's staring away from Dick. I elbow him and tilt my head towards Dick, telling Damian to give it.

Damian sighs. "Happy Birthday, Grayson." Damian holds out the ribbon for Dick to grab.

Dick crouches down and looks at both of us with a smile. I take the sash and put it around him. As I'm putting it around him, he looks down at the sash and laughs. "Birthday Bitch?" he asks, looking at me. 

"It was the best thing they had," I answer, shrugging my shoulders.

Dick takes the ribbon from Damian's hand and reads it. "Is 'Birthday Bitch' the only thing that you guys found?" he asks, pinning the ribbon to his blue shirt.

"No, we found more," I answer with a smile. "But you'll see, later."

"Happy Birthday Dickie!" Jason screams. He runs up to Dick and smashes something in his face. Followed by him is Tim, who does the same thing. By the looks of it, it looks like a miniature cake. 

As Tim and Jason are suffocating Dick with the small cakes, while laughing, Father approaches us. He hands me and Damian two miniature cake, as he holds his own. We watch as he slowly approaches Dick with a small smile on his face. "Happy Birthday, Dick," he says. With that, he smashes the small cake into his face.