Chapter Thirteen- I Go To Winona's Birthday Party

As much as I had loved being at home to see my family for some time, I was excited to return to university towards the middle of November. 

It was soon to be Winona's birthday! 

She would be turning twenty-five, and I already knew that Lily was going to plan some crazy party for her. 

I say crazy...mostly because that's what Lily could be said to be sometimes. 

So, yes, she was still giving off all of the mixed signals. 

I had recently learnt that her father was a devout Christian, and that his ideals and views meant that Lily felt a little at odds with him, given that she was an atheist. 

Still, I didn't understand why she had to take out the issues she clearly needed to resolve with her father on other people, and maybe I was just being overly sensitive and making things about myself, again. 

However, I really wasn't convinced that Lily liked me in the slightest. 

I was only human. It was alright for that to make me feel upset. 

I also supposed I was just going to have to accept the fact that not everybody could like me. 

I had tried to take my mind off the whole thing, through adapting to my situation. 

I didn't need her to like me, anyway. 

For friends, I had Winona and Xena, and that was good enough.

Soon enough, Lily arrived in the library, and greeted me with a half-smile. 

"Oh it's you," she stated. 

"I would love it if you didn't refer to me as an 'it', Everett. What exactly is your problem?" I asked her. 

She just shrugged, and scoffed, and then leant in across the table towards me, so that I had to swallow. 

"You are," she stated. 

Okay, so that was out of left field. 

I hadn't expected her to say that. 

"Why are you so mean to me, Lily?" I asked her. 

"'Cause I don't like you, Selina. 'Cause you don't seem to realise that people like us just aren't friends. 'Cause you're lying to yourself, Cooper, if you think we can be friends," she stated, her voice just a mere whisper. 

I just met her grey eyes and sighed. 

Why was my heart racing so much? 

Sure, it hurt to hear her say those words to me, but that was only one part of the puzzle. 

This was becoming one of the most confusing feelings that I had ever felt. 

"Hey Lils," Winona said, and joined us, then, looking towards the two of us with a generous amount of curiosity evident in her expression, "I mean, I can come back later if you two are-" 

Lily just straightened up, and narrowed her eyes at me for a moment, before turning to Winona. 

"I'm alright," Lily stated. 

I wish I could say the same. 

"And how are you, Nona?" Lily asked her, "Happy birthday, by the way," she told her, the corner of her mouth twitching up a fraction, as she said it. 

"Yeah, happy birthday, Winona!" I told her. 

Winona met my gaze and directed a grateful smile towards me.