Chapter 17

Sorry, I couldn't find a song for this chapter, if you have any recommendations let me know please!

***

After the night that I heard my parents conversation my mom started treating me like a broken person. She kept me away from my father as much as she could, and she also helped me with everything. Today was the first day of October, it was also the day of homecoming. My mom wanted to help me get ready for tonight, but I was tired of her help. She'd been around me non-stop for the past two weeks, she made me breakfast every morning, she gave me money to go shopping, she even tried to drive me to school! When she tried to drive me I may have yelled at her, it went something like this:

"Mom! What is wrong with you this week? You haven't left me alone, you're treating me like you did after the accident."

She looks at me, "Sorry, I was just trying to help."

"Mom, it's totally okay for you to help, but it's not okay to obsess over me. I'm almost an adult now, I can do these simple everyday tasks on my own. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help, but I'm okay right now, I'm not going crazy and I'm no longer mentally damaged. I'm doing a lot better," I pause, "I promise you I'm sane right now." She walks toward me and hugs me, she apologizes for being a little crazy and I told her it was okay. Then she drops news that I did not expect.

"I'm divorcing your father." I gasp, was she serious. Did this have anything to do with the little conversation I heard?

I blink a few times, I even pinch myself to make sure that this wasn't some dream, or nightmare. "Wait, you're serious?" She nods as her answer. "But, why, I thought everything was fine. Why are you guys getting a divorce?"

"It's complicated, but I swear, one day when we have time, I will tell you."

I was lucky that she let me go to Mack's house by myself, to get ready for tonight, homecoming. I didn't think she would let me drive.

Mack is curling her hair when I walk into her room, her mom opens the door, her auburn curls look beautiful. Mackenzie naturally is a very pretty girl, her wavy hair and her very green eyes. If I'm honest, I always was jealous of Mack's beauty. And Emma's. They were both carelessly perfect. She smiles when she sees me looking through the mirror. She isn't in her dress, yet, she is in basketball shorts and a huge shirt, which I had a guess to whom it used to belong to.

"Wow, Em, that dress truly is perfect for you. You look amazi- no way! Are you wearing makeup?" She says as she practically breaks my eardrums.

I nod, "Yeah, does it look bad?" She shakes her head, "I just thought that we would be taking a lot of pictures and one day we would be showing it to our kids so I thought I should at least try to look good for them, but only for one night."

"Deal!" She says and we both laugh.

After we are finished getting ready we wait for about fifteen minutes until Xander finally calls to tell us that he is here, I swear he takes forever to get ready, he's like a girl. We go down the stairs, carefully, but before we can reach the car Mrs.Dankworth stops us, she tells us a whole story of how she wishes she took pictures for her homecoming and how we need to take pictures. I look at Mack and she nods, we stand in front of their beautiful fireplace and smile. Her moms asks which ones we like, and after ten minutes if that we finally reach Xander's car. He smiles when he sees me, but when he sees Mack he actually widen his smile, which I didn't think was possible. Aw, so cute. She sits in the front, and I sits in the back, I hate being the third-wheel. He explains that Dan's mom was driving him there so we won't be stopping for him. Which means that we go straight to the place where homecoming is being held.