Chapter 5

I had searched everywhere for the missing field journal throughout the week, tearing through my bags and looking all over my desk, checking and rechecking every single place that I had already looked through. Erika gave a negative answer when I had asked her if she'd seen it or moved it somewhere without my knowledge, leaving me be to continue her own studies while I had to move on and do some work on the island. As fascinating as Jyushi and his clutchmates were, I knew that they weren't the only new species on the island.

Using the data that Karl had given me on the USB drive, I was able to do further research on the species that he found, dividing some of them into subspecies when I found enough variance between the groupings. Adding another handful of reptiles and insects to the ever-growing list, I began taking along a camera on the expeditions to document the new finds on the spot.

After silently taking a picture of a new kind of praying mantis, I heard the crunch of a stick snapping underneath a hefty weight, turning my ear towards the sound and freezing as I started to hear male voices. Shoving the camera into my bag, I quickly shouldered it and made my way towards the noise.

There shouldn't have been any other humans on the island besides Erika and myself.

A blade sang through the air before biting into some branches and vines that seemed to offend the intruders, cutting through the greenery with ease. I crouched by one of the nearby trees, my brown outfit helping me blend in a little as I saw two men walk by, about six or so feet from me.

They were each armed with a machete, what looked to be a hunting rifle and a sidearm pistol, and geared up like they were taking a safari trip. Poachers.

I narrowed my eyes in anger before catching a familiar book in one of their hands. The previously water-logged papers wouldn't have been hard to replicate, but my handwriting on the cover gave it away instantly.

My naga field journal.

They were hunting for Jyushi and his clutchmates.

"Excuse me, what are you gentlemen doing here?" I called out, stepping out from behind them with a hand resting on my radio. They both jumped and turned towards me, one removing the rifle from his shoulder and aiming it at me while the other brandished his machete.

"Oh!" The man with the rifle glanced down at my outfit, his eyes trying to find some kind of company name, "You were out for an awfully long time, so dispatch sent us to come find you."

"You're not supposed to be here," I didn't bite at his lie, "I'd suggest that you leave that piece of private property you're holding, and turn tail to the ship you sailed in on."

"Private property?" The machete-wielding man raised an eyebrow, "Just because this island is unclaimed by any world government doesn't make this private property."

"That," I pointed towards the field journal in his other hand, "is private property."

"Then you've seen these creatures?" The man with the rifle took a step closer, the muzzle of the barrel dipping towards the ground.

"No one has seen them."

"No, you have," A third voice cut in behind me, a rag swiftly covering my mouth and a rough hand pulling my own away from the radio, both arms dragging me against a solid frame of another man, "Strip her down. Us looking for them alone isn't working."

Both of the men in front stowed their weapons and began to dismantle my vest, ripping my backpack off and rifling through it. The mesh vest was left empty after they took off my instruments, and most of the samples I had in my backpack were cast aside. I struggled against the man holding me, the heel of my boot slamming down on his toes multiple times before I realized that he wasn't flinching from the hits.