Chapter 37

Keeping the north star in sight, I forged my way through the surrounding woods before breaking past the treeline and standing near an outcropping of rock that sat on the shoreline, the waves breaking over it and crashing down onto the ground before retreating back into the ocean. The moonlight caught the thin waves as they collided with the shoreline, the smaller droplets turning into a spray that scattered on the gentle wind. I watched with a small bit of intrigue before I shifted my gaze over towards the two nagas close to the treeline about fifty feet away, their voices muted at this distance.

"...no business doing that."

The familiar huffy voice labeled the speaker as Todo.

"You think I'm going to do anything about it?" The second naga to speak was definitely Oso, "If you have a problem with it, then go take care of it on your own."

"You're the oldest, Oso. He's moving in on your turf, too."

"Last I checked, I didn't own a living thing."

"So you're just going to let him get away with publicly marking her as his?" Todo scoffed in disbelief, "What the hell happened to you in that cage? You used to be more confident about what you wanted."

"It's okay for us to change, Todo. Not everything needs to go right back to how it was before we were stolen from our island," Oso's voice lowered into a growl, as if he was trying to convince himself that what he said was right.

Todo remained silent for a little while before raising his chest a little, his tail curling around itself, "While you're trying to 'change' into something you're definitely not, I'm going to keep living my life."

He looked over shoulder at me, making me stop in my tracks as Todo turned towards me. His hand rested on my shoulder, quickly twisting me around to face him and pulling me close to his chest, his tail curling up behind me and pressing my waist against him to ensure I was fully flush with his body. I took in a breath to berate Todo, my eyes narrowing in disapproval before one of his hands covered my mouth.

"Todo," I stilled as I heard the growl in Oso's voice, "What the hell do you think you're doing..."

"Oh, so you're upset about this, but not the fact that Kara did the same thing a few hours ago?" Todo looked past me with a glare, "(Y/n) has agreed to be my slave, for your information. I'm allowed to do this if I wish."

I tried to look back at Oso, but Todo's hand and tail kept me bound in place. His coils tightened around my arms as I fought to push myself away from him, glaring up at him as he gave me a snobbish look in return. A long, deep hiss emanated from Oso's chest, whistling past his open jaw before we were suddenly quiet, silenced by a shout from a nearby male voice not belonging to either Todo or Oso.

Another shout joined in the first one before a gunshot pierced the silence, Todo staggering forward with a cry. He instantly released me, tossing me to the ground as he twisted around to face whatever was attacking him, his teeth bared.

"No, don't fight them!" I screamed at the nagas, "Run!"

The outcry of a few people sounded much closer than the first shout and I scrambled to my feet, shoving Todo in the direction of the helicopter.

"Go! Lose them in the forest and hide with the others," Another rough shove sent Todo sprinting through the treeline, a quick glance of worry sent my way before he disappeared. I turned towards Oso, hearing another crack of gunfire before I stumbled forward, catching my footing before intercepting the red-headed naga. Oso looked ready to murder the hunting party, barely sparing me a glance as I tried to shove him towards the forest line.