Chapter 42

"I think I can work with this," I looked around the small shaded area. While the trees above were more than enough cover from the sun, I didn't feel comfortable with the wide open sides of the little space that Jyushi had led me to. I could always craft walls or fashion curtains to separate the area from prying eyes, and it was close to a medium-sized freshwater spring that I could use to bathe and wash my clothes.

In my mind's eye, I constructed the walls and imagined them in place to give me enough room to comfortably live, the space about fifteen feet wide in both length and width. The trees and bushes would provide enough materials for a bed, and I wouldn't really need the comforts of society like a dresser or lounge. This island was my home now and I had six nosey roommates to live with.

"Are you sure?" Jyushi leaned down to peer into the secluded area, his orange eyes sweeping around the interior, "There's another one like this a little further in...and I think I remember a nice nesting spot near my home."

"Jyushi, this one will be fine," I laughed as I turned to face him, holding out a hand to take my bags from him, "It'll need some things before I can live in it, but it's a really good start to a home here."

"...you could always stay with me," Jyushi protested as he handed over the bags.

"I don't think the others would appreciate that very much," Taking the duffle bag and food bag from him, I set down the duffle near the center of the area before finding a place to hang the food so that no ground creatures could get to it, "But, this means that with a place selected as my home, I'm officially moved in."

"Really?" His eyes brightened at the change in topic, instantly bringing me into a hug as soon as I stepped out of the shaded area, "Then I can show you around the island! I can point out all kinds of things to you! Where the springs are, where you can count the stars at night..."

"Actually, Jyushi," I pulled my head away from his chest to look up at him, "I had wanted to see a certain spot in Choro's territory first, if that's okay. There was a picture that I took of your island from the air that I wanted to show you all, but I completely forgot about it until after the helicopter left...Choro mentioned that there was some place similar on the mountain he stays at, and he wanted to show me when I found somewhere to stay."

"The overlook?" Jyushi raised an eyebrow before his expression brightened, "That was one of the places I wanted to show you! We can go head there first, and I'll show you some places along the way."

"That sounds great!" I returned his enthusiasm with a smile, following his lead as he pushed through the underbrush towards the mountain range, "Choro won't be mad if you go into his territory, will he?"

"Just because we have a set territory doesn't mean we can't travel through the others," The reticulated naga laughed, "Everyone can come and go if they want. Our claim just means that this is where we prefer to live."

"Oh, so like a habitat...it's your preferred type of landscape, but you can be found in other places."

"I guess?" Jyushi held a branch up so that it didn't whack me in the face, allowing me to pass under it before letting it go, "We all have springs in our territory, but we visit the other springs if something is wrong with ours."

"Do you visit your brothers?" I stepped over a smaller fallen tree, his tail holding it down as Jyushi slithered over it.

"Not really. We always talk with each other through scent, so there's really no reason to go see someone unless they need help."

"That would drive me mad," Giving a small laugh, I caught myself before I could trip and fall over a hidden root that had jutted up from the rains. Jyushi was quick to react, his hands grabbing my waist and lifting me up before pressing me to his chest. His arms cradled my knees and shoulders to himself, giving a light nod before moving on.