Chapter 17

I had managed to procure a few tools from the exotics department, using the e-mail as a way of communication and asking for permission to modify a spare set of tubing. Using the knives in the kitchen, I was able to craft the tubing into an appropriate channel for the naga venom. I couldn't test it out until the man started to do the job, unfortunately, but Kara helped ensure that the tubing fit their fangs since he had the thickest and longest pair.

I had received an e-mail from Jeff's business with a comment that they were notified of my issue and Jeff would personally respond to my request, as he had flagged it as high priority. My heart fluttered with anticipation when I read his response:

'(Y/n),

I want to help you since you seemed to be earnest about what you were going to do when you went to the island. To hear that the new discoveries were put on display with you tending to them was a shock, and caused quite a stir. I have a crew willing and ready to operate the Mil for you and your nagas but we're unable to touch down at the San Diego Zoo proper. There's simply not enough room for the rotor clearance.

However, if you're able to try and find a way to get the nagas to the northern edge or somewhere near Morley Field, we would be able to pick you up there. Contact me again after you've confirmed you have a way to get them out.

Jeff Campbell,

Owner of Heli-Hub'

I had a pass to get the nagas home and now I needed to find some way to get them there. Looking up Morley Field, I realized that it wasn't terribly far from where we currently were, and could make it there in less than twenty minutes. The only issue I could see were the two roads that lay between the zoo and the park. The nighttime escape that I was originally thinking would be better...unless I was able to convince the zoo staff that the nagas needed an air evacuation for something important.

Shaking my head, I closed the laptop and lay on the mattress while staring at the ceiling. I had told Oso, Kara, and Choro about the new guy transferring this morning after I got back, but I didn't have the energy to tell the others. He would probably do some interacting with them, too, but I was certain that it would only be for the first day or so. There was no way that I'd let him know about the escape plan starting to form, considering he worked directly under Calmine.

----

The elevator chimed as I closed the fridge door after putting some of the leftover meat back in, having cut it up into much smaller chunks so I could throw them into the fresh delivery tomorrow or give them to the nagas if they wanted something small to tide them over until the next big meal. Both doors slid open before releasing its sole occupant, hard sole boots thudding against the floor as they stepped out onto the concrete floor.

"You must be (y/n)."

His deep voice startled me, not matching the youthful face that he had. Black hair fell in loose curls that settled around his ears, almost hiding the blue eyes regarding my own form as we took in details about each other. The dark olive skin made the tan shirt stand out a little more than usual as his hands tucked themselves into the pockets of the black pants hanging from his waist.

"The one and only," I washed my hands of the meat juice and red dye, turning to him after drying them on a paper towel, "Are you the one that Calmine sent to help?"

"Yeah," The gravelly voice slipped through his lips, barely moving his mouth as he spoke, "Name's Raoul. I also heard that you've been asking for milk tubing, or something like that."