Chapter 28

I had to stop myself before it went too far and assured him that I would be okay despite my heavy blushing and gasping while leaving Choro's enclosure after almost an hour of kissing. Closing the door behind me, I pressed my hands against my face, unsure if I felt shame for what I did with an innocent naga or not. Nothing I had shown Choro gave any inkling of what could happen beyond the kissing, but I caught myself multiple times thinking that I wanted more.

Five more days...

Five more days and I would be on their island alone.

I stilled as my hands fell down to my sides, a new thought worming its way through my head.

If I had them brought to the same island that they lived at before...then there was a chance that Calmine and his men would hunt them down again. The remote laboratory could still be in place.

Shoving myself off of the door, I quickly headed into the bathroom to strip down and wash off, stepping into the cold water and leaning against the wall for several minutes as I tried to think of another plan. The water cascaded down my warm skin, rinsing off the sweat and perspiration as I closed my eyes, creating a mental image of the water cleaning everything in my mind.

The best place was to start at the beginning...

...and the beginning was on that island.

Turning off the water and briefly drying my hair, I rushed to the bedroom to dress in loose-fitting clothes before turning my attention towards the six doors of the naga enclosures.

Was this something I needed to tell them? Probably.

Did I need to tell them this right now? Probably not...but it wouldn't do any good to just let the thought fester in my mind.

I quickly went down the line, pulling open the unlocked doors and going back to the prep table to wait while the nagas decided if they wanted to participate in this conversation.

"I thought this was happening tomorrow night?" Todo asked cautiously as he pushed his door open wider, looking around the back area before settling his gaze onto me.

"It'll happen tomorrow night, but there's something that I need to talk to you all about right now."

"What is it, (y/n)?" Kara emerged from his enclosure a little, water trickling down his chest and scales, "What thoughts disturb you so?"

"I've always been under the assumption that I'm returning you all home safely, but I recently thought that it may not be a good idea," I watched as Choro, Oso, and Jyushi emerged from their enclosures, "There's a chance that Calmine and his men could follow us back to try and recapture you."

"Let him try," Oso huffed, his voice tense with spite, "The only reason we were taken in the first place was because we weren't expecting them."

"They may try to come again, Oso...!" I shifted my gaze towards the oldest, a small plea in my voice, "I can try to find another place for you all to live--"

"No," Oso cut me off, advancing into the back area a few feet, "That island is our home."

"But--"

"If they want to try to catch us again," Kara spoke up, a heavy hiss in his voice, "They're welcome to try."

The atmosphere in the room shifted from its usual neutral feeling to aggressive hostility, each of the nagas picking up the change in attitude and responding to it as they each echoed out their own hisses or growls. I looked at each naga, seeing their displays of anger and taking a step back before letting in a slow breath.