Chapter 33

(Video for reference to those that don't how big a Mil Mi-26 actually is.)

I stared down at the limp body of the female security officer, the same one who was kind enough to give me a keycard and the one that allowed me to have access to the supply room in the first place.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...!" I moved her aside and quickly dug out the set of keys labelled as 'FIRE KEY', shoving the drawer back into the desk and rushing to the fire exit. My hands were shaking too much, adrenaline mixed with regret at my actions making it hard for the key to slide into the keyhole, but after a small struggle, the metal implement slid home and I was able to turn it.

I had the right key.

Gripping it tightly in my hand, I made sure that no one saw me go back into the back area and slipped the duffle bag strap over my shoulder.

"Guys, now!" I started pulling open the doors to the enclosures, watching the six nagas look at me for further direction before following me down the hallway. I used the keycard to open the double doors, going first to make sure the intersections were still clear before waving them through. Back at the fire exit, I struggled to get the key into place before it turned in the lock, unlocking the heavy fire doors without triggering the alarm.

The night air was cool, but not chilly, and the stars were hard to see through the light pollution of the city surrounding the zoo.

"We need to go that way," I pointed towards the direction that the roads were in, aligning my position to the mental picture of the map I had memorized, "There will probably be a fence or a wall that you'll need to scale, but beyond that are two roads that I talked about."

Tossing the keycard and keyring back into the building before shutting the door, I started to guide the six large nagas through the quiet walkways of the zoo. The entire zoo was devoid of spectators looking at the animals on display, making the feeling unsettling as I picked the more heavily sheltered path and using the surrounding trees as cover.

As we forged through the artificial woods and made it to the edge of the tree line, I glanced around the empty side street to see that there were very few cars still parked in some of the spots while the parking lots beyond the side street were completely empty. There was a large tree that sat between the side street and the parking lot, and it was better cover than nothing. Directing the nagas to head there, I followed them as quickly as I could, surprised at their speed across the pavement. When they made it to the safety of the tree, I was halfway into the side street.

"You're so slow...(y/n)!" I heard Jyushi laugh a little before a hand grabbed my wrist, the laugh turning into a shout. The hand pulled back on my wrist, forcing me to turn around mid-step and fall back onto the pavement, staring up at a sneering Karl.

"Karl...!" I scooted back away from him, mentally urging the nagas to not reveal themselves.

"I thought you were acting strangely in front of Calmine," Karl closed the distance between us and backed me against one of the parked cars scattered in the street, squatting down in front of me with a confident sneer on his lips, "You were thinking of escaping with them?"

"I'm just going home," I tried to move around the car, but his hands pressed against the car on either side of my shoulders, "Let me leave, or I'm calling the cops!"

"That would be digging your own grave, wouldn't it? I thought you were smarter than that," He huffed before looking towards the large tree as a few hisses sounded from it, "At least they know the stakes if they come close."