Chapter 7

Nicole felt that familiar thrill as. The engine went barreling down the street, lights and siren blazing. They were heading for a multiple car pileup which were always tricky calls. It could be a few cars slightly damaged or there could be sever damage with the danger of flammable liquids exposed. Either way she knew how to handle herself. She'd been to her share of accidents and knew how to use the equipment necessary to get people out of badly damaged cars.
    As they got to the scene Nicole saw at least five badly damaged cars likely to have people inside since they were first on scene. When they jumped out of the rig she already heard Driver barking out orders so she listened for her name.
    "Davin, Morris go help Cabello and Gray assess the injured." Driver yelled.
    Nicole walked up to him, "Wait, what? I should be helping people get out of damaged cars."
    Driver looked at her with a slight smirk, "I said you're of better use to us over there with the paramedics, away from danger. Wouldn't want you to get hurt on your first day."
    Before she could respond he ran towards the nearest, least damaged car. She was about to look for Bailey to complain when Morris put his hand on her shoulder, "Come on let's go help, looks like they're getting swamped."
    "He's such a prick!" Nicole said angrily as they headed towards the growing number of injured people congregating around Cabello and Gray.
    "Yeah and I get the impression he doesn't like either fo us for some reason." Morris commented.
    "Well you asking me a bunch of questions earlier didn't help your cause and I think I was doomed from the start." She said with a sigh.
    "Why's that?" Morris asked.
    She looked at him and almost laughed because he really didn't seem to get it. "I'm a woman. Also I'd venture to guess if he's looked at my file I probably have way more commendations than him, that's just a guess though." She finished with a smirk as they got to where Gray and Cabello were assessing injuries. "Ladies, we are at your service."
    If Cabello was surprised she didn't show it though Gray wasn't so successful. Cabello was the one who spoke up, "Morris you go with Gray, newbie you're with me."
    Nicole smirked and wanted to make a smart ass comment but there was work to be done.

    Over the course of the next hour the crew worked to clear the scene. A few other ambulances had shown up to transport some of the injured motorists to the hospital so Gray and Cabello could stay on scene. Nicole couldn't help but be impressed by the pair.
    Later Nicole was patching up a cut on a child's arm when she heard a voice that was quickly becoming annoying to her, "Cabello are you done with my guys, I mean people, yet?"
    Cabello looked up at the lieutenant with a hint of annoyance, "Yeah I guess. Things are pretty much under control here."
    "On second thought, why don't you keep Davin just in case." Driver said his voice dripping with arrogance. "We'll make do without her."
    Before she answered Cabello looked over at Nicole who looked beyond pissed. "Yeah thanks. We'll get her back to you as soon as we can."
    "No hurry." he said over his shoulder as he walked away.
    The woman sitting with the boy Nicole was working on shook her head. "That guy's a piece of work isn't he?"
    Nicole laughed and said, "That's one way of putting it."
    "Well I have a few other choice words but my niece and nephew here repeat everything they hear." the woman said with a smile.
    Nicole smiled back, "My nephew is the same way so I totally get it."
    The boy looked up at Nicole and asked, "Was he talking about you?" She nodded and the boy continued, "I thought you said your name was Nicole?"
    "My first name is Nicole buddy but firefighters usually call each other by their last names. My full name is Nicole Davin." She answered with a smile.
    "Why was he being so mean?" The little boy asked.
    Cabello chimed in walking up behind Nicole, "Some guys don't think female firefighters are as good as the guys are."
    The boy's twin sister who was sitting next to their aunt spoke up for the first time since Nicole had approached them, "Are you as good as the guys Nicole?"
    "No," Nicole smiled at the little girl and winked before confidently stating, "I'm better!"
    The little girl smiled and laughed. Her brother smiled at Nicole too.
    "All patched up little man." Nicole said with a warm smile then turned to the other two family members. "Are you ladies sure you're okay?"
    The woman nodded, "Yeah just a little rattled that's all. My car is being towed right now and my husband is on the way." As she finished that sentence her phone chimed. She quickly read a new text message and said, "Oh he's here. Alright kids, what do you say to Nicole?"
    Both kids stood up and hugged Nicole while she was still on her knees. "Thank you Nicole!" They each kissed one of her cheeks and stepped back.
    "You're very welcome!" Nicole said blushing slightly.
    As they stood up the woman said, "You're one of the good ones. Don't let the jerks get you down."
    Nicole smiled, "Oh I never do!"
    "Good!" She said patting Nicole on the shoulder.
    As the family walked away Cabello bumped Nicole with her shoulder. "You're pretty good with kids newbie."
    "You know I have a name right?" Nicole said with a laugh.
    Cabello laughed too, "Yeah but it's your first day so newbie it is for now."
    Nicole shrugged, "Fair enough."
    "Let's head back to the house." Cabello said.
    As Nicole hopped into the back of the ambulance she heard the radio go off.
    "Ambulance 61, you available to respond to a structural fire? Squad 3, Truck 81 and Engine 51 are already in route."
    Cabello answered, "Yes, we're on the way."
    When they arrived on scene the trio found Bailey for an update.
    "What have we got chief?" Cabello asked.
    "Apartment building fire. They're searching the floors now. A few people have already come out." He said pointing to a group of people huddled across the street from the burning building.
    "We're on it." Cabello and Gray said in unison.
    "What should I do chief?" Nicole asked.
"Go check with Morgan by truck to see what he needs. I'll come find you if Cabello and Gray need help." He replied a little harshly.
"Yes chief." Nicole said. She wasn't sure why he sounded harsh but she figured it wasn't a good idea to question him. Not to mention the fact that apartment fires still made her a bit nervous and she didn't want to have to explain that to anyone just yet, she was okay with staying on the sidelines.
After the sweep of the building was complete they hit it with the hoses. Luckily the fire was contained to one side of the building and only affected two floors. There were only on scene for about two hours before they headed back to the house since there wasn't a lot of area to secure.
When the truck was heading back Driver turned around and said, "Good to see you could join us Davin."
Nicole was going to answer but Morris put his hand on her arm. She turned and saw him shake his head, encouraging her to not raise to the bait. She turned back to Driver, smirked then looked out the window.

Bailey had followed ambulance 61 back to the house. "Cabello, my office." He said as he passed them heading inside.
Cabello and Gray looked at each other in confusion. Without saying a word Cabello shrugged and followed.
"What's up chief?" Cabello said as she closed the door behind her.
"Just need to check some facts." He said pointing to the chair which Cabello took. "Did Davin and Morris request to help you and Gray at the car accident scene?"
"Honestly chief I don't know. They just came over and said they were there to help." Cabello replied.
Bailey nodded then asked, "Did Davin request to stay on scene with you and Gray?"
"No, that was my call chief." Cabello answered.
"Could you elaborate on that?" Bailey inquired.
"Driver offered to let Davin stay saying they could make do without her. I saw she looked pissed even though she was hiding it well so I figured she could cool off with us for a while before having to face Driver again." Cabello stated honestly hoping Bailey would understand and she had't just gotten Nicole in trouble.
Bailey nodded and smirked, "From what I have heard Davin can have a bit of a temper so that was a good call Cabello."
"Thank you sir." Cabello said with relief.
"Don't feel pressured to agree but I'd like to ask a favor of you." Bailey said.
"Okay." Cabello answered tentatively.
"Davin is a good firefighter, you can't have a record like hers and not be, but I think Driver has it in for her. Can you just keep an eye out for her a bit, don't let her temper get her into trouble. I think Davin will be a great addition to this house and I don't want a temp driving her off because of his own feelings." Bailey spoke honestly.
Cabello thought for a moment then replied, "I think the guys will recognize what's going on pretty quick, if they haven't already and help her out but I'll do what I can chief."
"Thank you Cabello." Bailey said and stood indicating their talk was over.
When they walked into the bay truck 81 was pulling in. He stood back until everyone got out of the truck and deposited their turnout gear before he called out, "Davin, my office."
    Nicole looked at Driver and saw him smirk. Her blood started to boil a bit but she took a deep breath. She held her head high as she walked into the chief's office and closed the door.
    Bailey spoke up immediately when the door was shut, "I don't know what Driver's agenda is but try to be patient, he's only temporary. I've talked to Thornily, or regular lieutenant and his recovery is going better than expected. He's still in the hospital so it will be a number of shifts before he's back but everything is looking good."
    Nicole let out a deep breath. "Well that's not what I expected to hear after how you talked to me at the fire."
    Bailey smiled, "I'm sorry. About how I acted earlier. I didn't have all the correct information."
    "And now?" Nicole asked.
    "I think this house will be stronger with you here, I just ask you to be patient." Bailey replied.
    "Thank you chief. We'll just have to see how things go I guess." Nicole said then the alarm went off again.
    "Truck 81, engine 51, squad 3, ambulance 61 structural fire at..."
    "No rest for the wicked hey?" Nicole said as they headed out of the office towards the bay.