Chapter 18

As the guys headed for the surgery waiting room Mathis headed in the opposite direction towards the burn unit.
Morris saw her turn and followed. A few steps away from the others he asked, "You going to try and see Nicole?"
"Yeah, I'm at least going to check on her condition and hopefully talk to Rachel. I don't know if it's a good idea to actually see her yet or not." Mathis admitted.
"But you're okay so that should put her mind at ease." Morris offered.
Mathis was surprised by his comment. He had said him and Nicole were close but he hadn't mentioned Gray's condition. Maybe he didn't know there was a connection between the women. She figured she'd test the waters of his knowledge, "True but Gray is in surgery. Don't you think that would worry her? Especially given how I look, she'll be able to figure out something happened."
"Good point." Morris said with a nod. "Honestly none of us have been up to see her yet because we were waiting on news about you and Gray."
"I figured." Mathis said with a nod. She was about to walk away then said, "You want to come with me?"
"If it's okay with you." Morris said quietly.
Mathis looked up and saw Bailey walk off the elevator. "Hey chief, Morris and I are going to check in on Nicole."
"Good," he said with a nod. "If we get any information on Gray before you join us I'll send someone to let you know."
"Okay." Mathis answered.
Before she could turn back toward the burn unit Bailey spoke again, "Actually, why don't you two stay in the burn unit waiting room. That way we'll have people in both places, keeping tabs on both our family members." He said with a nod.
"Will do chief." Morris answered as they parted ways.

Nicole hated being a patient, Mathis was right that she was worse than a child. Though she decided since she had woken up in the burn unit she would try to be as good as she could. She hated feeling weak but she knew the burn on her shoulder was serious.
Once he saw she was alert Nicole's doctor came to talk with her, "How are you feeling Nicole?"
Though she was still feeling a bit groggy she would not allow herself to admit to that. Instead she said, "I'm feeling a little sore." Not that this admission was any better in her mind.
Dr. Driver asked, "One through ten where is your pain level?"
"The slight pain is nothing I can't handle doc." Nicole answered.
"I'm sure but I still need a number Nicole from one to ten, one being no pain and ten being the worst pain you've ever felt." Dr. Driver said calmly.
Nicole sighed, "A three, I guess."
"Thank you." He said giving her a smile.
"I have a question doc." When he nodded she continued, "Do you have a relative who is a lieutenant with the CFD?"
"I do. Have you had the pleasure of working with my brother?" He asked.
Nicole answered plainly, "Yeah he filled in while my lieutenant was on medical leave."
The matter of fact answer amused Dr. Driver, "Well congrats for not doing him any bodily harm. He's an ass normally but I've heard he's worse towards women on the job."
Nicole laughed, "It was tempting but I like being a firefighter. He wasn't worth risking my job."
    "I agree, he's not worth the trouble." He replied with a nod. "Now let's talk about your shoulder."
    "How bad is it?" Nicole asked attentively.
    "Well it definitely could have been worse but having said that, you will have a long road ahead to get back to 100%." Dr. Driver explained.
    "But I will get back to 100%?" Nicole asked.
    "Honestly that will be up to you. If you follow doctors orders I don't see why not." He said with a smile. "I also called in an expert on treating burns who just happens to be in town."
    "I'm gonna guess that's a good thing?" Nicole asked.
    "Yes," Dr. Driver said with a smile. "He should be in to talk to you soon. But for now, is there anything else I can do for you right now?"
    "Am I allowed visitors?" Nicole asked. Being in the burn unit she wasn't sure if it was allowed given the sterile environment.
    "Of course you can." He replied and added, "There are a couple safety measures any visitors have to take but they're minor."
    "Good." Nicole smiled. Before he reached the door she spoke again, "How do I find out if anyone is here to see me?"
    He laughed, "Knowing firefighters there's a bunch hanging around. I'll go check the waiting room. Are you feeling up to having visitors?"
    "Absolutely. Thanks doc." Nicole replied.