Chapter 13

Nicole decided she wasn't going to go out of her way to talk to Gray after the way things went at the two bars the other night. Nicole felt bad that she had basically ignored Gray at Halligan's but their conversation at Hopleaf had turned a bit too flirty for Nicole's comfort level. She was still getting used to being with the same guys shift after shift, she couldn't imagine tackling anything personal.
The shift started off with a surprise for Nicole finding out that Jameson Mathis was Gray's new partner. Her and Mathis had bonded during a stint Nicole did at 24. They both weren't the biggest fan of Mathis' partner so that seemed to make them instant allies. They also learned they had both lost people very close to them not long before they met. Though they were both reluctant to share their stories initially, after sharing Nicole realized that was a turning point for her. They had lost touch in the past few months but Nicole hoped they would be able to catch up now.
After a call for a car accident it was pretty quiet morning for truck and squad. Nicole sat around in the common room for a while but she felt herself getting antsy so she decided to work out.
As she was punching the speed bag about forty-five minutes later Morris came in, "Hey Davin, you alright?"
She turned to him and smiled, "Yeah I'm good, why?"
He shrugged, "You've been in here for a while so I figured I'd check."
Nicole took off her gloves, "I guess I just have excess energy and the lack of calls means I come in here. I can only sit around for so long before I get antsy."
"You sure that's it?" Morris asked.
"Of course!" Nicole answered as confidently as she could muster, "Why?
"Well at the sake of you threatening my man card again, it seems like something's up with you." He admitted.
Nicole sighed. They hadn't known each other very long but he could already read her moods a bit. She found herself thinking about the week that changed her life. Bailey, Mathis and Gray knew parts about that week but her and her sister were the only people who knew the whole story.
"Nicole?" He said quietly, breaking through her thoughts with the use of her first name and his tone.
"Sorry Morris, got lost in my thoughts." Nicole replied then spit out her next thought before she could change her mind. "There's some things I haven't told you but I think I should."
"Okay," he replied slowly. "How about I make you dinner tomorrow night at my place? That way we can talk with less chance of untimely interruptions, if you want."
Nicole smiled, "That sounds good actually."
"Done." Morris said with a nod and a smile. "You've got about fifteen minutes before lunch is ready by the way."
"Thanks Morris." Nicole replied as Morris headed for the door.

Not long after Nicole sat down with her plate full of food she saw that Gray and Mathis were finally back in house.
After Mathis filled her plate she sat next to Nicole, smiled and spoke quietly, "Good to see you Davin."
"The feeling's mutual Mathis, it's been awhile." Nicole replied matching Mathis' smile.
"It has." Mathis nodded. "How have you been? How long are you here for?"
"Actually 51's my permanent house." Nicole replied, avoiding the other question for the moment.
"Wow!" Mathis was obviously surprised. "We really need to get together and catch up."
    "Agreed." Nicole said with a nod. "How's working with Gray do far?"
    Mathis shrugged, "She seems to know what she's doing."
    Nicole was going to ask more about that comment but the guys started asking Mathis questions.
    They guys were mostly asking the typical general questions about her past that Nicole already know most of the answers. She didn't think much of the questions until one of the guys spoke up.
    "So have you worked with Davin before Mathis? I noticed you guys started talking immediately after you sat down like you knew each other." Rafferty asked.
    Nicole looked up at Rafferty wondering why he asked. She knew she was giving him a shitty look but no one seemed to notice, especially not him. She then looked over at Gray and caught her eye for just a moment before she looked down at her plate, their eye contact was not long enough to read her expression. Nicole heard Mathis answer Rafferty honestly, completely unaware of the possible drama she was stepping into.
    Nicole made a mental not to clue Mathis into the situation though she knew Mathis wouldn't be thrilled about the possible drama.
    The overhead announcement of a run broke Nicole out of her thoughts but the call was only for ambo 61.
    "At least I haven't been bored yet." Mathis said with a half smile as she got up from the table.