Chapter 20

After Dr. Gray had left Nicole started flipping through the channels on the TV. Unfortunately she wasn't sure what type of show she wanted to watch. After her third run through the channels she finally decided to stop on a random cop show again. It was an episode she had seen a few times but it seemed to be the most entertaining option.
    About ten minutes later she heard her door open and looked over to see her sister enter the room. "It's good to see you Rach but you could try knocking first next time." Nicole joked trying to keep the mood light given the look on her sisters face.
    "You know I've been a cop in Chicago for years and I've never landed myself in the hospital. Yet you've been a firefighter here for a matter of months and you're here in the burn unit with a nasty wound on your shoulder." Rachel said as she walked towards the chair next to Nicole's bed.
    Nicole shrugged then winced but replied, "What can I say Rach, it's been a bad morning."
    "I gathered though it's afternoon now sis." Rachel replied. "Look I know you're damn good at your job but from what I've heard you took some unnecessary risks out there today."
    "Rachel I was just doing my job the best way I know how. I had it all under control." Nicole said with a smirk.
    "Obviously you didn't have it under control since you're in here." Rachel quickly replied and shook her head. "I can't handle loosing anyone else. You don't need to go bending the rules or take unnecessary risks to prove anything to anyone. You have a nephew who needs you in his life. Hell, I need you too sis." Rachel said trying unsuccessfully to keep the tears from her eyes.
    It broke Nicole's heart to see her sister crying but she knew she had to state the obvious, "It's the nature of the job sis. Mine and your's honestly."
    "I know that stupid." Rachel said with a nod. "It just scared the hell out of me when Antonio showed up at the house saying you were in the hospital."
    Nicole nodded and quietly admitted, "I was scared when we arrived at the scene."
    "Why?" Rachel asked because she hadn't heard the details of the fire and it was extremely rare for Nicole to admit fear.
    "The apartment fire was almost identical to..." Nicole couldn't finish the sentence but knew she didn't have to.
    Rachel stood up and sat on the bed next to her sister knowing what Nicole was trying to say, "But it wasn't the same sis. You may be injured but you'll be okay."
    "When that two by four hit my back and knocked me down I thought that was it." Nicole turned her head to look in her sisters eyes, tears streaming down her face. "Then that little girl cried out and I knew I had to do everything I could to get us out of that fire, use every bit of strength I didn't know I had."
    "And you got out Nic, that's all that matters." Rachel replied.
    "I know but I can't help thinking why was I able to get out yet just months ago he couldn't in an almost identical fire." Nicole nearly whispered.
    Rachel figured this statement would come out at some point but it was still hard to hear. Both sisters had taken the death of their brother hard but until that horrible moment Nicole and Mike had been nearly inseparable for most of their lives. She knew she had to be careful. With what she said because that emotional wound was still fresh. "I don't know Nic. I wish I knew why things happen the way they do. But let's focus on what we know. You saved a little girls life today and you will fully recover so you can go back to 51 and do what you do best."
    "I'm sorry Rach. I know this is a tough subject. I just can't help my mind from going there, you know?" Nicole explained.
    "I know sis, my mind went there too." Rachel replied as she carefully gave Nicole a hug. "There's a reason you're still here, wounded as you may be. Let's just focus on the present for now."
    Nicole pulled back and looked at her sister as she nodded, "I can do that."

    After updating the guys in the surgery waiting room Mathis headed to the nurses station in the burn unit.
    "How can I help you?" A young nurse behind the computer asked with a smile.
    "I'm here to visit Nicole Davin." Mathis answered.
    Before the young nurse could say anything another nurse walked up and said, "Go on back Mathis, she's in 25. You remember the drill right?"
    Mathis nodded, "I do Cindy, thank you. It's good to see you."
    "You too Mathis." Cindy said with a smile. "After you visit that troublemaker we'll catch up. I just started my shift a couple hours ago so I'll be due for a break when you're done."
    "Is she already being difficult? She's only been here at the hospital for a few hours and probably not conscious for most of the time." Mathis said in disbelief.
    "Not yet." Cindy said with a laugh. "But I can just tell you know. Not to mention firefighters tend to be difficult just because they play tough, especially the female ones. They really seem to think they have something to prove, to who I will never know."
    Mathis nodded and headed back towards the rooms. She easily found Nicole's room then headed towards the closest sink. As she was washing her hands she noticed Nicole's door open. Rachel and Antonio walked out and removed their gowns and gloves.
    As she grabbed a gown and gloves Mathis spoke up, "How's she doing?"
    Rachel looked at Mathis and said, "She's doing alright. She's a little grumpy cause she can't get comfortable and she hates that her room feels like a box but other than that..."
    "So she's being her normal stubborn self right?" Mathis offered.
    Rachel nodded and smiled, "Yeah, pretty much."
"Wonderful." Mathis said rolling her eyes but also smiling.
"Antonio's taking me home." Rachel said. "I plan on coming back in a bit with Will and Tyler. I think a little face time with her nephew will make her a little less ornery."
Mathis couldn't help but laugh, "You may be right Rachel. Kids seem to have a positive effect on Nicole."
"Very true." Rachel said with a nod. "How's Gray?"
"She's awake and being a bit of a smart ass." She answered.
Antonio laughed, "That sounds like normal Gray to me."
Rachel smiled, "As I said I'll be back in a couple hours Mathis it please don't feel obligated to stay until I get back."
"I can stick around, it's not a problem." Mathis quickly replied.
"I know," Rachel said with a nod and thought for a moment before she continued. "I mean this in the nicest way possible dear but you look like hell. Go in, see Nic, tell her about the accident then go home. Take a relaxing shower or bath and get some sleep. Gray and Nic aren't going anywhere anytime soon."
Mathis nodded and smirked, "Okay mom." She was quickly realizing she had not only missed Nicole but also her family. Rachel and Will had welcomed her into their home instantly and had been wonderful to her.
Rachel lightly slapped Mathis' shoulder, "Alright smart ass. I'm glad you and Nic are back in the same house. We've missed you."
"Me too." Mathis replied with a smile.