Chapter 22

After the food arrived and the young nurse checked in again Mathis laughed, "You really do have women falling all over you lately don't you Nic? First my new partner and now your day nurse."
Nicole rolled her eyes, "You say that like I'm asking for attention."
Mathis smirked, "I may be straight but I recognize that you're attractive which can easily get you some favors and admiration."
"Whatever." Nicole said rolling her eyes.
"Well I think the attention of your young nurse proves my point." Mathis countered with a smile.
Nicole's only response was to shake her head.
Mathis decided to cut the joking and push a bit. "So what's going on with you and Gray?"
Nicole smirked and countered, "What makes you think there's something going on between Gray and I?"
"Because I'm not blind. I may be a little stupid at times but I'm definitely not blind." Mathis replied.
Nicole gave Mathis a look before she asked, "Why did you make the comment about being stupid?"
"Going off topic a little but I misjudged Gray. I let what I had heard from others form my opinion of her." Mathis admitted.
"Did you go off on Gray using your old partner as an example?" Nicole asked with a laugh. She knew something was off with Gray when they talked outside of 51.
Mathis nodded her head, "Yeah I kinda gave her a similar speech that I gave you once upon a time."
Nicole shook her head, "I was wondering if something like that happened."
"And get this, Billings and her new partner showed up at the scene of the accident." Mathis said with a laugh.
"Wow." Nicole laughed. "Gray the pleasure of meeting your ex partner?"
"Yeah and she wasn't a big fan." Mathis replied.
Nicole nodded, "I know the feeling."
Mathis smiled, "Valid point but can we get back to the original conversation?"
Nicole just nodded and waited for Mathis to continue.
"I saw you and Gray walk back into the bay when the call for the fire came over, you both had smiles on your faces and you seemed to be joking around. Seeing that made me rethink my reaction to Gray's comments earlier in the shift." Mathis explained.
"Her comments?" Nicole asked.
"We had a bizarre call, basically a con artist posing as a plastic surgeon was injecting construction adhesive into a girls ass. Things went south and the slime bolted which caused her friend to call 911." Mathis explained.
"That is bizarre. I mean I can appreciate a nice ass but why would someone go to those dangerous extremes?" Nicole replied.
Mathis smirked, "That's just about what Gray said."
Nicole nodded, "And since you barely know her you figured she was another Billings?"
"Yeah, something like that." Mathis replied.
"Well having met and worked with both women I feel confident in saying Gray is nothing like Billings." Nicole replied.
"I realized that a bit late." Mathis admitted. "But back to my original question because I'm curious, what's with you two? I ask because I saw the concern and protectiveness in Gray's face when she saw your shoulder. I got the feeling there was more than just the general coworker concern."
Nicole took a deep breath then said, "It's complicated."
Mathis smiled, "I figured as much. I know we've lost touch the last few months but you can still trust me Nicole."
Nicole nodded then said, "There's a part about the week I lost Leslie and Mike that I didn't tell you."
Mathis put her hand on Nicole's and smiled hoping this would encourage Nicole.
Nicole smiled then began. "The weekend before my week from hell I was here visiting Rachel and the fam. I decided to go out that Saturday night and I met Gray at a club."
Since Nicole paused Mathis replied with a smirk, "I'm sure that's not where the story ends."
"No, no it's not." Nicole replied with a slight smile. "I went home with her."
Mathis nodded, "Bet it was a bit awkward on your first day at 51."
"You have no idea!" Nicole laughed. "That's a total understatement. When I saw Gray and Rafferty my stomach dropped."
"You guys seem to be okay now though." Mathis pointed out.
Nicole shrugged, "When I got her Rafferty thought I was some kind of crazy stalker. I'm not completely convinced that he doesn't still believe that."
Mathis smiled and thought for a few moments before she spoke again, "Well that sort of explains your link to Gray but I have a feeling you're leaving out a part of the story Nic."
Nicole grinned, "It's scary that you still know me so well Mathis."
"Spill woman." Mathis demanded with a laugh.
"The intention that night was a no strings attached one night stand. Hell I lived in Milwaukee so what else could it have been?" Nicole explained.
Mathis nodded and added, "From what I remember those are the encounters you prefer."
"Gees, when you say it like that I sound like a shallow person." Nicole said defensively.
"Not what I meant at all but that's a whole different conversation." Mathis explained. "Let's just focus on Gray for now.
Nicole hesitated for a moment, "There was something about Gray that just stuck with me. I honestly drove back to Milwaukee wanting to talk to Leslie about Gray, I just..." Nicole's voice caught in her throat.
Mathis squeezed Nicole's hand and quietly finished Nicole's statement, "But you never got the chance." She waited for a few moments before she continued, "So you told me what Rafferty thought about you being at 51 but what did Gray say?"
"She was mad that Rafferty confronted me with his feelings. She seems to be okay with me as you said before." Nicole said then smiled a little.
"Continue." Mathis encouraged, "I can tell there's more."
"Well, we were all out at Hopleaf celebrating Cabello starting the academy and Thornely coming back to 51. Gray and I got set up by Cabello and Rachel so we would actually talk." Nicole explained then paused with a smile.
"Because of the goofy grin I gotta ask, did you guys go home together again?" Mathis asked.
Nicole shook her head, "No but she was hinting at being friends with benefits. And although the thought is intriguing I told her I wasn't able to offer her anymore than regular friendship. Yesterday before the call was the most we've talked since that night."
Mathis studied Nicole's face for a moment before asking, "Does Gray know about Leslie and Mike?"
Nicole shook her head again, "No but on the ride here I told her we needed to talk and I want to be completely honest with her. I want to tell her why I moved to Chicago."
"That's definitely a start." Mathis replied. "If there is anything between you two, friendship or more, I know that telling her about that week will make it easier for you to let her in, from personal experience.
    Nicole smiled at her friend. Though Mathis was attractive she had never been interested in Mathis like that. There was something about he when they met that told Nicole they could be good friends. They both had their demons that made it hard to trust others but within a few shifts they went out for a drink and ended up on a bench in a park along Lake Michigan sharing their stories and crying. They probably looked crazy to anyone out there that day but for them it was one of the best days either woman had in months.
    "When do you think one of us will be able to visit the other?" Nicole asked.
    "Once one of you is moved to a regular room." Mathis answered. "With her in the ICU and you here in the burn unit, neither of you are going anywhere."
    "I figured." Nicole replied looking disappointed.
    Mathis decided to try and lighten the mood again, "You didn't sleep with Billings and not tell me, did you?"
    Nicole's expression turned serious but remained silent.
    Mathis waited to see if Nicole would say anything. When Nicole broke out laughing Mathis took a deep breath and laughed too.
    "Honestly Mathis, you've met more than one woman I've slept with. Does your former partner really fit my type?" Nicole asked.
    Mathis shook her head, "Not at all but alcohol can do strange things to people's judgement."
    "There aren't beer goggles thick enough my friend." Nicole said with a smile.
    "Point taken, only cute girls for Nicole." Mathis answered with a matching smile.
    Nicole raised an eyebrow, "Cute girls huh? Is there something you need to tell me Mathis?"
    "Don't even go there, I'm not changing teams. Gray just made a big deal about pointing out that she's nothing like Billings, first and foremost that she's cute and Billings is not." Mathis explained.
    Nicole laughed, "That sounds like something Gray would say. Also a very accurate statement."
    "I have just one more thing to say about you and Gray." Mathis said.
    "Only one?" Nicole asked with an amused smile.
    "For now." Mathis replied with a smile then continued, "You will both be off work for a bit. If you want to, you will have time to figure out what's going on between you two away from 51."
    "Good point." Nicole said with a nod. "We'll have to wait and see what happens."
    Mathis nodded as well then said, "Thank you for being honest with me Nic."
    "Thank you for being here for me Mathis." Nicole answered.
    "Anytime." Mathis said seriously then allowed a goofy grin to replace the seriousness.
    "What's with the grin Mathis?" Nicole asked.
    Mathis laughed, "I don't know if this is just a crush or something more but it looks good on you Davin."
    Nicole laughed too, "Alright that's enough out of you smartass."
    Mathis smiled then said, "I may be a smartass but don't forget that this smartass gave you Gray's phone number so you could talk for now."
    "Very true." Nicole admitted. "You are definitely my favorite smartass!"