Chapter 6

Adelina's POV:

The Porters are exactly how Ms.Martin described and their house looks exactly how I expected. The stereotype I instantly associated them with seems to fit them like a glove.

The first thing I noticed pulling up to the medium sized home was the white picket fence enclosing their garden. The yellow house is very square, has white detailing and a grey roof. There's even two nice cars in the drive-way. That alone is more than what can be expected where I was living before.

The neighborhood is a real shocker. Sense the sarcasm. I could tell it must be peaceful living over here. Afterall, this is a quiet neighborhood.

This is the definition of the American Dream. It symbolises the ideal middle-class suburban life that only a percentage of Americans get to live.

I'm currently sitting on the couch next to Ms.Eloise while June and Jack are sitting facing us. I turn towards a window in the living room that shows the front of the house. I quietly watch the sun set, admiring the golden rays making showing themselves through the pink clouds. Sunsets have always been one of my favorite things.

They both have warm smiles on their faces doing little to ease the thick tension in the air. I turn to Eloise with a look on my face hoping she will get the message.

Thanfully she understood and started talking. 

"Right! Well, Adelina this is June and Jack. June, Jack this little lady over here is Adelina. Is her room set up yet?"

Since my house is now a crime scene I wasn't allowed to take anything as everything is deemed evidence. Not that it matters, I didn't have much. All I have is what was on me when the cops showed up.

"Yes of course," June said jumping to her feet, " come darling!" she said starting to walk.

My eyes instantly shut and I flinched slightly, taken aback by the work she used. Instantly, I stand up and follow her out of the room while shooting Ms.Martin a worried look.

I had come to trust her just a bit. She's the safest out of all of them. She's the only one I know. As if sensing my panic, she sends me an encouraging nod and a smile telling me it was ok.

I look forward towards Mrs.Porter and continue to follow her. She leads me to a plain room that almost looks like a decoration.

"Oh my! We forgot your bags. Oh darn let's go get those."

I look at her wondering if I should speak. 

"I um, I actually don't have any," I say suddenly finding my dirty white laces very interesting.

"Oh! Well that's ok. I'm sure I have some that will fit you, if not we'll go puck up some. Hm? How's that sound?"

"Thank you very much."

"Don't mention it sweets."

I once again follow her out of the room towards the living room where Ms.Martin and Jack are making small talk. Once she sees me arrive her face brightens a bit.

"Adelina! Welcome back, you were very missed" shes said with a huge smile while I giggle a bit.

"How'd you like the room?"

"It was very nice" I say almost under a whisper.

"Very good, why don't you show me?"

"Of course! Just follow-" June starts.

"Actually," Eloise cuts in, " would you mind if Adelina and I speak for a moment?"

"Yes, yes! Go on, you'd think I know the drill by now" she chuckle while Eloise smiles.

I swear I'm just going back and forth between the living room and bedroom at this point.

We get inside and she closes the door assuring the couple wouldn't hear us.

"I had to speak to you and check out the room so I thought why not kill two birds with one stone, you know? Anyways I don't want you to worry, understand? They're a very nice couple that I've known for quite a bit. Even at that, you need to tell me if you're uncomfortable here, alright? If they aren't providing you with the basic necessities, you tell me right away. If anything happens that you don't like call me and I will get you out of her before you can say David Beckham, understood? You're safe and have my number if anything."

I didn't expect her to go for older guys, kinda ew. Nevertheless, I give a small smile and nod my head.

"Thank you" I say.

"It's what I'm here for." she says while opening her arms for a hug.

Ten minutes later we're back at the front door with Eloise saying her goodbyes and repeating what that I had her number.

"I promise I'll give you updates on anything the police find or anything we find about a permanent placement. Oh and I'll let you know if I see that cute doctor again" she says with a wink.

She shut the door behind her and we were left in silence.

"Anyone hungry?" I hear June question.

"You bet I am, you make your chicken casserole?" Jack asks.

"You know I did" June laughs.

"Is that ok, with you Adelina?"

I'm a bit shocked to be offered food to be honest.

Not everyone is like him.

I take a deep breath trying to remind myself of that fact before looking up with a small smile.

"That sounds amazing. Thank you."

She just gives me a smile in return and disappears into the kitchen muttering something about finishing dinner.

I suddenly become very aware of the fact that I am now left alone with Jack. I unconciously divert my eyes away from him and stay silent, appreciating the lack of conversation. The pink clouds are now replaced by glowing stars seeming to dance through the darkness.

I faintly recognize the sound of cheering and hesitantly turn my head to see the tv has been turned on.  I realize Jack is now sitting on the couch watching some local college football game. Michael was a horrible person and while Jack behaves much differently than him there's still a large feeling of discomfort in the pit of my stomach.

"Adelina? You can sit down you know, make yourself comfortable."

My attention instantly snaps to Jack. I do as he suggested and make my way to a small lounge chair in the corner of the room, not wanting to be right next to him.

He must've noticed my discomfort to some degree because he doesn't bother trying to make conversation. We both turn our attention to the tv but while he seems to quickly get invested in the sport, I take into appreciation the peace around me.

It's the first time today that I don't think about what will happen next. I find myself able to have a clear mind for about three seconds before everything comes rushing back and realization sinks in.

What the fuck has happened?

_________________________________

Heya!

Thanks for the votes and comments!

Should I do a brothers POV next??