Chapter 16

Adelina's POV:

Shards of glass fly everywhere as I attempt to cover my face and eyes. Michael's eyes are glazed over with fury as he looks at me with a wild look covering his features. With every slow and menacing step he takes towards me, I unconsciously take one back. My body violently and involontarily flinches at every slight movement.

He reaches down and silently picks up a sharper  fragment of glass from the ground and my back hits the wall. Slowly, he runs the tip of his finger along the sharp end, testing it's efficiency. Today is nothing like the others. Today is much scarier than the others.

He reaches me at a snails pace while my heart thumps more and more aggressively against my ribcage. He lifts up one hand, his drunken state making it hard for him to coordinate it. His hand lands on my cheek roughly as my head jerks backwards from the unexpected motion.

Salty tears start to drip onto my cheeks as I start to let out sobs

"Darling," he shushs with a small chuckle that sends shivers down my spine, pressing a finger against my lips "there's no need for that"

His hands make their way down to my waist where I thrash before being slammed back up to the wall. I struggle in his hold before he places the cool piece of glass against my cheek.

"Ah ah ah," he chuckles tapping the makeshift weapon soflty. 

His lips soon latch onto my collarbone and my head jerks once again as a sharp pain stings my cheek. A louder sob escapes my lips this time.

I sat there trapped, the memory replaying over and over again. Nothing more and nothing less. My mind wakes up before my body. I lay there, still and unmoving trying to process my surroundings. Everything comes rushing back and I groan in annoyance. 

Yesterday was painfully awkward and I fully expect the same thing of the boys today. My gut feeling about them is becoming highy unsettling and I need to get rid of it as soon as possible. I'm hoping everyone will be there for breakfast or around in general but I doubt it.

After taking a shower and getting dressed in yesterday's clothes, which is nothing new to me due to living with Michael, I head downstairs. I wander a bit, not fully knowing the floor plan, but soon end up in the in a hallway I think leads to the kitchen. 

I hear muffled italien words coming from a room nearby. I follow the sound of the voices until I end up at the door.

"C'era un problema. Sono partiti presto per incontrarsi ..." one muttered before his sentence trails off. (There was a problem. They left early to go meet with...)

I lean in closer to the door, hoping to hear more of the conversation they felt the need to have in italien but the floorboard creeks under my weight. The conversation instantly seises and I stand up straight and take a deep breath before pushing open the door with no second thought. If I had waited they would have figured I was eavesdropping. 

"Hey," I say calmly, realising I've successfully ended up in the kitchen. Angelo is pouring himself a cup of coffee while Raffaele sits eating his breakfast on the table. Raffaele has a panicked look on his face but gives a small smile and Angelo simply smiles.

"Goodmorning," he says picking up a mug. 

I give him a nod and go to sit at the table. 

"Would you like anything to eat?," he speaks up again after a moment of silence. I look around, as if I would find the answer written on the placemats, while rule number four rings in my head. No eating or drinking.