Chapter 2 - Enchanted

[December 1998]

"Man, I get really tired of going to award shows," AJ moaned as he, Nick, Brian, Howie and Kevin sat in the back of a limo that was stuck in traffic on the Las Vegas Strip.

They were in Las Vegas for the 1998 Billboard Music Awards where they were going to be performing and were up for a few awards. However, Howie wasn't feeling well and didn't want to be at the awards or perform at all.

"It's a part of being successful," Kevin bitched at AJ who rolled his eyes. Nick looked out the window of the limo, ignoring them all.

There was only one thing on his mind that evening and it had nothing to do with performing or winning an awards.

Since meeting Harley Harper in Los Angeles a few months earlier, she had risen to the top of the charts. While her first single didn't make it to number one, her video was a hit on MTV, VH1 and CMT. But when her second single, "Enchanted," was released, it shot to number one on the Billboard charts. Her first album was released two weeks earlier and was still sitting at number one on the albums charts.

Everything she told Nick in Los Angeles was true – she was good and he knew that now. He loved her voice and even went to buy a copy of her album.

Now he wanted to see her again and he was going to get his wish. She was going to be performing at the awards ceremony and he couldn't wait. For once, he didn't mind dressing all fancy and talking with the media. If it meant seeing that girl again, he would do it.

"We're here!" Nick shouted as the limo pulled up to the red carpet. The others watched him as he practically leaped out of the limo and didn't wait for the others before making his way down the red carpet.

He stood there, looking around to only see several other celebrities talking to the media. They were early since they were one of the first performers after Garth Brooks. But then he saw a huge crowd at the end of the red carpet gathered around someone. He saw blonde hair peeking out from all the flashes of cameras going off.

It was Harley Harper.

He walked along with the other guys, talking to the media but kept his eye on Harley the entire time. He noticed her hair was a little longer and she actually had a decent dress on this time. There was no middrift showing and that woman wasn't with her.

"Nick, what do you keep looking at?" Howie asked as Nick shook his head. "Oh, that's that Harley girl, isn't it? We should introduce ourselves to her tonight at some point."

Nick smirked. He had already beaten Howie to the punch. Checkmate and score. He sighed, wishing he could score her. Her video for "Enchanted" got him hard every single time. Sure, she was seventeen now but no seventeen year old girl should make a guy feel like that while watching a music video. It was hot. It was sexy and sensual and just thinking about it made Nick want to shift himself in his pants.

"Hey Nick," he heard a soft voice say as he looked back, seeing Harley standing there in a strapless black dress with a poofy skirt that looked like it belonged on a ballerina. This was the part where he was supposed to talk. "Remember me? We met..."

"Harley, hey, yeah I remember you," Nick smiled. He watched her as he moved in for a hug but froze and stepped back. Nick returned the gesture, opening his arms and they hugged quickly. "So I guess you were right. You are good."

"So you know who I am now?" she asked, grinning at him.

"In fact, I do," Nick leaned over and whispered. "Even bought your CD."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Harley, we have to go," a man said, walking up to her. "The producers want to meet with you."

"I'll see you later, promise?" she asked as Nick nodded, watching her as she followed the guy through the red carpet.

"I saw you," Kevin leaned over, whispering in Nick's ear. "Is that why you were so hell bent on getting out of that limo?" Nick smirked at him and turned around, ignoring his question. "Be smart, Nicky."

A few hours later, after the Backstreet Boys had performed and accepted an award, the end of the awards ceremony was coming near. Nick sat in his seat impatiently, waiting for Harley to perform and he thought this was going to be the moment. Sandra Bullock walked onto the stage to introduce the next artist and he sighed, realizing this was it.

Our next performer is still relatively new. She just turned seventeen a week ago and the day before her birthday, she found out that her first album debuted at number one on the Billboard charts. Her second single, which she's performing tonight, was written after a chance meeting at one of her very first industry events. It has spent four weeks at number one on the Country Singles chart and one week at number one on the Hot 100 chart. Here with 'Enchanted,' is Harley Harper,

"A chance encounter at her first industry event?" Brian whispered as Nick looked at him. "Didn't you tell me the VMA's was her first big thing she went to?" Nick nodded, watching Harley as she walked on the stage in a big blue gown, almost looking like Cinderella. "Nick..."

"What?"

"You think you might have been the chance encounter?" Brian asked as Nick turned his head to stare at him.

Your eyes whispered 'have we met?'
Across the room your silhouette
Starts to make its way to me
The playful conversation starts
Counter all your quick remarks
Like passing notes in secrecy
And it was enchanting ot meet you
All I can say is I was enchanted to meet you

"You think?" Nick asked, looking back at Brian.

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll stand forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

"No way," Nick as Harley began singing the second verse. He sat there watching her move around the stage, acting out a scene with a guy, an extra, who she was singing to on stage.

There was no way the song could be about him. Why would she write a song about him? Nothing happened between them.

"Nick," Brian tapped Nick on the shoulder as Nick looked up, seeing her stand on the stage, directly in front of him. It was as if she was singing to him.

This is me praying that this was the very first page
Not where the story line ends
My thoughts will echo your name until I see you again
These are the words I held back as I was leaving too soon
I was enchanted to meet you

"Fuck, it is about me," Nick muttered, staring back at her as she moved from the edge, looking at Nick.

"It's about you?" AJ and Kevin asked at the same time.