Chapter 23 - Easy

[Harley]

Nick Carter is something else. Nick fucking Carter. God, just saying his name gets to me sometimes. That night he came to my hotel room in London, I was dead set on spending five minutes talking to him and sending him on his merry little way. Instead, we spent God knows how long talking and he gave me another charm for the bracelet I should stop wearing. If the fans or media, or Ashton for that matter, had known who gave me the bracelet and the majority of the charms, all hell would break loose.

But the bracelet meant to much me to just toss aside, whether Nick and I weren't together or not.

And our talk sent my head in a tailspin. I wasn't as mad at him anymore. It was like all the anger that I had built up for him was gone and all I felt was sorry for him. I was sorry that he realized what a mistake he made by letting me go and getting involved with that whore. I was sorry that he had to see me engaged and loving someone else. I know how I felt seeing him and Paris together so him seeing me engaged to someone else must have stung twice as hard.

And Scarlett was right. Nick and I were more than just in a relationship together. He had been my best friend for five of the almost six years at that point. We did a lot of growing up together. We had been through so much together that it was hard to cut him completely out of my life and feel nothing for him.

But feeling like we could be friends again at that point and having him be my love interest in my music video were two totally separate things. I remember calling Ashton that night after taking a shower, telling him about my long conversation with Nick. Of course, I didn't tell him that Nick had followed me like a groupie, but that he was staying in the same hotel.

He genuinely sounded happy for me. Hell, he was happy that Nick and I could talk to one another without fighting. He understood that Nick and I had been more than just boyfriend and girlfriend, but I also think deep down he was worried about Nick's motives. Ashton just didn't say anything about it.

Of course, I questioned Nick's motives too. Then again, when didn't I question Nick doing anything?

[/Harley]

[July 2004]

I have known Nick Carter since 1998. During that time, he was my best friend, my boyfriend and I lived with him. There is no way I believe that the allegations that Paris Hilton is making against him are true. It's just another way for her to spin a story in her favor in order to look good herself. She's manipulating the media yet again, and you are believing it at an innocent man's expense.

Nick smiled, looking at his laptop monitor in his London hotel room that afternoon. He woke up to his manager calling him, asking him why his ex-girlfriend was releasing a statement to the media about his and Paris' breakup. Nick couldn't wait to get online and see the words himself even though his manager read it out loud to him on the phone. He couldn't believe Harley actually did it... She released a statement to the media even though he wasn't sure she would.

It made him feel better. He hoped it would swing things in his favor again. Harley had a good reputation and people believed her. They respected what she had to say. Plus, they did have a long relationship together, much longer than his relationship with Paris.

They had to believe Harley.

"I can't believe you released that statement to the press," Scarlett said as she and Harley sat in the back of the town car that was taking Harley back to the hotel from one of her interviews. "Even the interviewer today had a field day with it. You talked more about Nick than you did Ashton."

"Well, he's innocent," Harley shrugged, playing with her charm bracelet. She had already put her new charm that Nick got her on there and she loved it. A simple diamond ring – that's what she wanted. "Besides, anything to help put that bitch in her place is good with me."

"So have you forgiven Nick?"

"No, not really. I've just kind of pushed it out of my mind," Harley sighed. "I mean, how can I be angry at him anymore? Him fucking up led me to be with Ashton and who knows, I would have taken this movie, met Ashton and broke up with Nick, you know? I could have been the bad guy."

"Is that a new charm?" Scarlett asked, grabbing Harley's hand to see the diamond ring charm. "When did you get that?" Harley shrugged, moving her hand away from Scarlett. "Harley..."

"Nick..."

"And you're wearing it?"

"Why not? He's the one that gave me the bracelet the day after we had sex for the first time," Harley said as Scarlett opened her mouth in shock. "What? I love it and plus, my Mom gave me a charm that I wear, too."

"Harley, I'm not sure being around Nick last night was good for you," Scarlett said as Harley looked at her shyly. "What? What don't I know?"

"I'm eating dinner with him tonight, just to hang out and talk. Inside the hotel where nobody can see us and Ashton knows so it's fine," Harley said as Scarlett shook her head. "What?"

"You're setting yourself up again," Scarlett whispered, looking away from Harley. "Nick Carter is your weakness. You've said so yourself so if you keep seeing him like this, all nice and vulnerable, you're going to fall for his charm."

"I'm a big girl," Harley said, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm happily engaged so I won't fall to anything." Scarlett shook her head, laughing slightly at Harley sounding so confident in herself.