Famous Last Words

Sunny's POV

"Gerard? Are you okay?" I ask in a serious voice, watching him shut his eyes and scrunch up his face in sadness.

Geebear just shakes his head, his long black hair flicking from left to right.

"Come on, I'll drive us to the hospital." I walk over to him and take his hand.

"You can drive?" Gee asks in a quiet voice.

"Yeah. I just don't have a car, that's why I used to walk to school. Mind if I drive the pick-up?"

"Nah, go for it."

We walk to the car, and half the journey is made in complete silence. I gnaw at my lower lip as I race around the corners, anxious to get to the hospital in time, while Geebear just sits with his face in his hands. Thoughts race around my head in the silence - mainly about Mikey. Dear God, I hope he's alright. When we get to red lights though, I can't handle it any longer.

I clear my throat, and the sound tears through the silence like a knife. Geebear's head snaps up, and his hazel eyes bore into me. He looks startled, like I've just woken him up.

"Honey, he'll be okay."

"How do you know?" Gee asks hoarsely.

"Well, I -"

"How do you know?" He repeats.

"I...I don't. I don't know, Gerard." I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "But I hope that he'll be okay. And hope is a very strong thing, you know."

Geebear puts his hand over mine, the one that's resting on the gearstick. "I know, I'm sorry. I just...I need him to be okay. I really, really need him to be okay."

"Me too." I squeeze his hand. "Me too."

The minute I park the car, Geebear leaps out and starts running. I do the same, only stopping to shut the driver's door. My eyes keep blurring more frequently now, but I just tell myself that it's tears.

We crash into the reception, and I start gabbling immediately to the confused looking receptionist. "Mikey Way's room please? This is his brother and I'm his brother's girlfriend, we didn't know he'd been in an accident until just now, is he okay? Has something horrible happened? Oh, please let him be okay -"

"Mr Way is in Room 498. Don't worry, sweethearts. He's doing very well."

"Oh, thank God! Thankyou!"

Even though we know he's okay, we have to check. We have to be sure. Mikey's like my little brother, and if anything awful's happened to him I don't know what I'll do. We dash up the stairs, ignoring every stumble either of us make, so when we finally get to Floor 4 both of us are suitably worn out. Running down Floor 4, my heart beats hard in my chest. Even with the assurance of Mikey being fine, I can't help thinking something horrendous has happened. Why else would Ember call Geebear so much?

I snap out of my thoughts the second Geebear shouts: "498! There!"

We burst into the room without so much as a light knock - and are both immediately shocked.

There's a boy propped up by pillows in bed. His eyes are closed and he looks tired, thin, ill. One eye is blackened. His leg is in a cast, and a sort of sling hanging from the wall holds it up - almost like in a cartoon or something. An equally tired looking girl's sleeping next to him, her face tear stricken and one hand resting on the boy's chest, one resting over her stomach, nails visibly bitten.

Mikey and Ember.

"M-Mikes?" Geebear stutters.

Mikey's eyes flicker open immediately. He obviously wasn't asleep.