Chapter 22 - "I'm right here"

Tears sit in Hope's eyes as she looks around the room. The twins go to hug her. Then everyone else takes their turn. But she hardly even acknowledges them. every muscle in her body, all of her senses - they all turn to the blood bag Alaric is holding.

He hands it to her.

She stares at it for a while, because she knows that once she drinks it - there's no going back. A drop of this blood and she lives forever.

Carefully, Hope opens it. She brings it up closer and the metallic smell becomes more apparent. She puts it to her lips and the first drop falls to her tongue. Her eyes close in bliss. That dryness that she felt as she woke up vanishes as the liquid goes down her throat. Each drop gets more delicious. She brings the bag impossibly closer, desperate to get it all out. She squeezes and pulls at it to get the thick liquid out easier. Black veins snake out from under her eyes, crawling down her cheeks. Only when all of the blood is cleaned from the bag does she open her eyes, revealing their golden tribrid glow. They're different from any ordinary hybrid's eyes. Much more unique and very Hope Mikaelson.

"Aunt Freya?" Hope spots the woman in the room. It hasn't been too long since they last saw each other. When Freya remembered Hope, she couldn't get to Mystic Falls sooner.

"Astral projecting for now, but the whole family is on their way. We figured we needed to come and visit." Freya explains.

Hope looks down at her hand to face the empty blood bag. It properly hits her that this is the life she now has to live. She used to believe this would happen when she's older, when she's finally ready to face it, not ever as young as this. Still, she doesn't regret it for a second. She'd do it again if it means saving Josie. And again. And again.

"I-I was worried that you weren't gonna come back...that this was his plan all along," Josie mutters. Hope smiles at her and grabs her hand. It eases Josie's mind, allowing her to take a long and deep breath that she's been holding in.

"I'm right here, Jo."

"When the family and I arrive, I think we need to discuss a plan." Freya cuts across their brief moment. Hope faces her but doesn't let go of Josie.

"What do you mean?" Hope asks.

"The guy is gone but not dead. My guess is he will be coming back to finish the job and I'm betting he'll bring friends. He may be a vampire, but no matter how old he is he knows that he can't defeat a fully activated tribrid alone." Every head in the room nods in agreement. Alaric has already been thinking of what they'd need to stop the man, including training students that want to be trained and evacuating those who don't. It's something they'll have to further discuss.

Brief conversations break out as everyone shares their ideas. It's a lot for Hope to take in. The heightened hearing is stronger than she expected. Everyone seriously undersells it. She can hear everything nearby. Each heartbeat. Each breath. The humming of the heating throughout the school. Kids whispering on the other side of the building. Doors creaking. Animals rushing through the trees outside. All of it. Everything.

She stays quiet for a moment. All she does is look at Josie. All she can think is how glad she is to see Josie again. To see her home, safe. And it helps block everything else out. It helps focus her senses on what is in the room.

"Is it okay if I talk to Josie, alone, for a sec?" Hope asks, stopping any talking around her.

Josie's parents say goodnight. Alaric kisses Josie on the head and Caroline hugs her. MG and Lizzie just smile at her and Freya fades into thin air, finally leaving the two friends alone.

Hope's not exactly sure what to say or how she's going to say it. She'd been ready to do it before, but now everything else has happened. She's at a loss for words.