v. whipped podices & angry lares

THE LAST THING Camilla expected after Mars disappeared and the legion broke apart for the night was for Frank to ask her to come on the quest. She was so surprised, in fact, that she looked behind her, as if to see if Hazel or Percy had snuck up behind her and they were who Frank was talking about. 

When she saw no one behind her, she looked back at Frank. "M-Me?" 

"Yeah," Frank said, wringing his hands nervously. "I mean, the four of us all made a pretty good team tonight, right? And I don't really... know anyone else I'd want to come. Plus, I mean, we're... we're friends. I don't really want anyone else but you guys watching my back." 

Camilla hadn't felt so touched in... gods, who knew how long. But before she could answer, Frank's eyes widened as if something had dawned on him. 

"Unless you hate me now," he said. "I mean, if you did, I'd—I'd get it. I've only been here for a month, and my godly parent claimed me, and I know you haven't—" He stopped himself. "I'm sorry." 

"You don't have to be sorry," she said softly. "I've accepted that my godly parent isn't going to claim me anytime soon. And... I'd love to come. If you're sure." 

She knew there were dozens of better options, even just in the Fifth Cohort. She'd only ever been on one quest, and that was just to tag along with Jason to rescue one of Bacchus's sacred leopards in the wine country two years prior. She might have been in the legion longer, but she didn't have much more experience than Frank or Hazel. 

Frank nodded, looking relieved. "I'm sure." 

And just like that, Camilla was going on a quest. 

Camilla had only ever been to one senate meeting, and that was to get approval for hers and Jason's excursion to Sonoma Valley to find Bacchus's leopard. As she and her quest-companions followed the procession of senators out of camp, she couldn't help but bounce a little on her feet. She was a little excited, in all honesty—she knew the quest was going to be incredibly dangerous, and she was certainly terrified beyond belief, but it felt good to be doing something that wasn't apart of the monotonous routine of everyday camp life.

Dakota stumbled along in his stained toga. A lot of senators seemed to be having trouble with their togas, too—hiking up their hems, trying to keep the cloth from slipping off their shoulders. Camilla was glad she didn't have to wear one of those—she was happy in her jeans and SPQR t-shirt. 

"How could Romans move in those things?" Percy wondered aloud. 

"They were just for formal occasions," Hazel said. "Like tuxedos. I bet the ancient Romans hated togas as much we do. By the way, you didn't bring any weapons, did you?" 

Percy's hand went to his pocket. "Why? Are we not supposed to?" 

"No weapons allowed inside the Pomerian Line," Camilla explained. 

"The what line?" 

"Pomerian," Frank said. "The city limits. Inside is a sacred 'safe zone.' Legions can't march through. No weapons allowed. That's so senate meetings don't get bloody." 

"Like Julius Caesar getting assassinated?" Percy asked. 

Frank nodded. "Don't worry. Nothing like that has happened in months." 

They reached the Pomerian Line and fell into place in the line of senators entering New Rome. 

On the side of the road, Terminus stood with an irritated expression, which was normal for him. "Single file!" he said. "Have your IDs ready."