vii. commander camilla

"SO, JASON," Percy said as they trudged through the sunflowers, "you and my sister have been friends for, what... three years?"

"Five," Jason corrected.

Percy nodded, studying him like a detective would study his prime suspect in a double-homicide. "Uh-huh. What's her favorite color?"

Camilla looked at Percy with a bit of a glare. "Percy, what are you—?"

"Dark pink," Jason answered.

Percy stared at him for a moment longer, then looked at Camilla. "Is that right?"

Camilla hoped the shadows from the towering sunflowers hid her blush. "Yeah."

Percy hummed. "Okay, how about this—when's her birthday?"

"September fourth," Jason said.

Percy looked at Camilla, who nodded.

Percy gave Jason a slow, suspicious once-over. "What's her social security number?"

"Percy!" Camilla smacked his arm. "I don't even know my social security number. Quit it."

"I'm just trying to get to know the guy!" Percy defended himself.

"By asking him questions about Camilla?" Piper said through a laugh.

"Look, I'm just trying to make sure he's worth—"

"Oh, look, the highway!" Camilla cut her brother off, biting back a sigh of relief at the road up ahead. "Finally!"

Leo had said they were close. His idea of "close" needed serious work.

"Correct my math," Percy said, staring up at the billboard that indicated they were still forty miles from the first Topeka exit, "but doesn't that mean we have eight miles to walk?"

Jason peered both ways down the deserted road. He looked much better today, thanks to the magic of ambrosia and nectar. His color was back to normal, and the scar on his forehead had almost vanished. His gladius hung at his belt—apparently Ivlivs had been broken in his fight with the giant Enceladus. Some guys might look awkward walking around with a scabbard strapped to their jeans, but on Jason it seemed perfectly natural.

"No cars..." he said. "But I guess we wouldn't want to hitchhike."

"No," Piper agreed, gazing nervously down the highway. "We've already spent too much time going overland. The earth is Gaea's territory."

"Hmm..." Jason snapped his fingers. "I can call a friend for a ride."

Percy raised his eyebrows. "Oh, yeah? Me too. Let's see whose friend gets here first."

Jason whistled. Percy simply closed his eyes and concentrated.

Camilla wasn't sure what either boy was doing, but she figured they knew what they were doing.

Thunder crackled in the clear sky. Camilla bristled at the sound, but not nearly as much as she might have if Jason wasn't there. Thunderstorms weren't as scary when you were with the son of the god who made them.

Jason smiled. "Soon."

"Too late." Percy pointed east, where a black winged shape was spiraling toward them. At first, Camilla thought it might be Frank in crow form. Then she realized it was much too big to be a bird.

"A black pegasus?" Piper said. "Never seen one like that."

The winged stallion came in for a landing. He trotted over to Percy and nuzzled his face, then sniffed curiously at Camilla's hair. Hey, another sea kid! He turned toward Piper and Jason. Who're these other guys, boss?