xxiv. dory & scarface

AFTER DINNER, the entire legion got the night off. Camilla and her friends drifted toward the city, which wasn't quite recovered from the battle, but the fires were out, most of the debris had been swept up, and the citizens were determined to celebrate.

At the Pomerian Line, the statue of Terminus wore a paper party hat. 

"Welcome, praetor!" he said. "You need any giants' faces smashed while you're in town, just let me know." 

"Thanks, Terminus," Percy said. "I'll keep that in mind." 

"Yes, good. Your praetor's cape is an inch too low on the left. There—that's better. Where is my assistant? Julia!" 

Julia ran out from behind the pedestal. When she smiled, Camilla saw that her front teeth were coming in. She held up a box full of party hats.

Percy tried to decline, but Julia gave him those big adoring eyes no human could say no to. 

"Ah, sure," he said. "I'll take the blue crown."

Julia offered Hazel a gold pirate hat. "I'm gonna be Percy Jackson when I grow up," she told Hazel solemnly. 

Hazel smiled and ruffled her hair. "That's a good thing to be, Julia."

"Although," Frank said, picking out a hat shaped like a polar bear's head, "Frank Zhang would be good, too." 

"Frank!" Hazel said as Camilla picked out a pink paper crown. 

They put on their hats and continued to the forum, which was lit up with multicolored lanterns. The fountains glowed purple. The coffee shops were doing a brisk business, and street musicians filled the air with the sounds of guitar, lyre, panpipes, and armpit noises.

The goddess Iris must have been in a party mood too. As they strolled past the damaged Senate House, a dazzling rainbow appeared in the night sky. Unfortunately, the goddess sent another blessing, too—a gentle rain of gluten-free R.O.F.L. cupcake simulations.

For a while, Camilla and Percy wandered the streets with Hazel and Frank, who kept brushing shoulders. Percy looked at Camilla, silent understanding passing between them. 

"I'm a little tired, guys," Percy said. 

"Yeah, me too," Camilla added. "You guys go on ahead." 

Hazel and Frank protested, but it was clear they wanted some alone time. 

Camilla and Percy started heading back to the camp. 

"How's your face?" Percy asked. 

Camilla touched the bandage on her cheek. "Doesn't really hurt unless I smile really wide," she said.

"I'm sorry," Percy said. "I should've been paying more att—" 

"Don't even try," Camilla cut him off. "I got distracted. It happens. It didn't kill me, and now I have a super cool battle scar. Don't steal this from me, Dory." 

Percy blinked. "Dory? From Finding Nemo?

Camilla shrugged. "You've had your fair share of memory problems," she said. "It fits." 

Percy glared at her. "Okay, Scarface." 

Camilla feigned a pout. "Too soon."

Percy bumped her shoulder lightly. "Not sorry," he told her. 

"This is why Tyson's my favorite brother," she said. 

It was Percy's turn to fake a pout. "And I was going to say you were my favorite sister."