xiii. hurricane

THEY DIDN'T MAKE it back to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them, blocking their bath. Each deposited a Roman legionnaire in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew off, and the Roman in the middle raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Camilla summoned Hurricane as Annabeth cursed under her breath.

As Annabeth analyzed the Romans ahead of them, Camilla looked around, trying to figure out a way to escape. The ship was only fifty feet away, and they were surrounded by water—this was supposed to be Camilla's element. But she didn't know if she could summon a wave without hurting her companions in the process.

Come on, she chided herself. Why are you always so scared all the time? This is supposed to be what you're good at!

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a set up. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

There was no sign of Hedge on the ship, or Percy in the water. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy was somewhere under the water, unaware of the invasion.

Camilla bit the bullet, focusing on the sea on either side of her. Just as a wave began to form, she felt something sharp poke her in the back. "Don't even think about it."

Great, Camilla thought. Four Romans.

"Well?" Octavian demanded. The two Romans on either side of him brandished their swords, and the Roman behind Camilla pressed the blade harder against her back.

Camilla watched Annabeth slowly draw her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it into the water.

Octavian made an indignant squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Annabeth feigned a dopey smile, and Camilla realized she had a plan. Of course she had a plan. Nobody who knew Annabeth even a little would believe her "oops" smile for a second, but Octavian was stupid. He huffed in exasperation.

"You other three..." He pointed his blade at Camilla, Piper, and Hazel. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"

All around the Romans in front of them, Charleston Harbor erupted like a fountain, sweeping the soldiers off of the deck. Acting on pure instinct, Camilla twisted her body away from the sword at her back and used the fourth Roman's confused shock to sweep his legs, knocking him into the bay with his companions.

When the wall of seawater subsided, all four Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Annabeth threw her arms around him. "I love you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted, a tiny smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding onto one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.