xxi. the new earth-shaker

CAMILLA LIKED TO think of herself as more of a pacifist than anything. She'd fight monsters when she had to, and spar when required, but all in all, she liked to avoid fights whenever she could.

But in that moment, she really wanted to fight Bacchus.

Ephialtes and Otis didn't give the trio of demigods much chance to adjust to their surroundings. Together, the giants picked up a fake mountain the size of a small house and hurled it at them.

Percy, Camilla, and Jason bolted out of the way. They dove together into the nearest trench and the mountain shattered above them, spraying them with plaster shrapnel. It wasn't deadly, but it stung like crazy.

The crowd jeered and shouted for blood. "Fight! Fight!"

"Anyone have a plan?" Jason asked over the noise.

Camilla tried to think. She wasn't a strategist by any means, but she wasn't a complete idiot, either.

Dividing was the natural course—two could take on each of the giants, the other jumping into whatever battle was going worse. But would that even work?

Camilla chewed on her bottom lip. The classic divide-and-conquer strategy wouldn't help them here—the giants were too strong individually, it wouldn't work. They needed to shake things up.

The whole trip, she'd watched her brother try to lead and protect everyone. She'd watched Jason struggle with being a follower when he'd spent most of his life leading.

Throughout their journey, they'd worked in small groups, hoping that would be safer. They'd fought as individuals, each demigod doing what they were best at. But Hera had made them a team for a reason.

Camilla had never felt stronger than she had when working in a team. Summoning the hurricane in Alaska with Percy, creating the storm in Charleston with Jason. Even in the nymph's shrine, they'd worked together, pouring their strength into a single goal.

"We attack together," she said. "Otis first—we'll take him out quickly and move to Ephialtes. Bronze and gold together—maybe that'll keep them from re-forming a little longer."

Jason smiled dryly, like he'd just found out he would die in an embarrassing way.

"Why not?" he agreed. "But Ephialtes isn't going to stand there and wait while we kill his brother. Unless—"

"Good wind today," Percy offered. "And there're some water pipes running under the arena."

Jason seemed to understand immediately. He laughed, and Camilla couldn't help the grin that spread across her own lips.

"On three?" Jason said.

"Why wait?" Percy countered.

The three charged out of the trench. The twins had lifted another plaster mountain, waiting for a clear shot. As soon as they spotted the demigods, the giants raised it above their heads, preparing to throw. Camilla and Percy made the water pipes burst at their feet, shaking the floor. Jason sent a blast of wind against Ephialtes's chest. The purple-haired giant toppled backward and Otis lost his grip on the mountain, which promptly collapsed on top of his brother. Only Ephialtes's snake feet stuck out, creating a scene that belonged in The Wizard of Oz. All the snakes needed was some red face paint.

The crowd roared with approval, but Camilla suspected Ephialtes was only stunned. They had a few seconds at best.

"Hey, Otis!" Percy shouted. "The Nutcracker bites!"

"Ahhhhh!" Otis snatched up his spear and threw, but he was too angry to aim straight. Jason deflected it over their heads and into the lake.

The demigods backed toward the water, shouting insults about ballet—not an easy task, seeing as none of them knew anything about it.