xi. buford the walking table

CAMILLA GASPED FOR BREATH as the water crashed in on them. The water filled her lungs the same way air did, which helped calm her racing heart, but that didn't change the fact that they were trapped in a giant fish-tank.

She looked around, searching for her friends. She spotted Frank, now a giant goldfish, swimming above her. Percy was a few feet away from Camilla, his eyes screwed shut.

He didn't look like he was breathing.

Camilla swam over to him, grabbing his arm. He opened his eyes, and then finally breathed, no sign of distress on his face. He blinked, the panic in his eyes ebbing away.

Frank? Camilla was surprised to hear Percy's voice clear as day in her mind, but she shook the shock away—it must have been a sea-kid thing.

Camilla pointed up at where Frank was swimming around.

Dude, Percy said. A goldfish?

Frank's voice came back to them: I freaked. We were talking about goldfish, so it was on my mind. Sue me.

I'm having a telepathic conversation with my brother and a giant koi, Camilla said. Oh my gods.

Can you turn into something more... useful? Percy asked Frank.

Silence. Maybe Frank was concentrating, though Camilla couldn't tell, since koi didn't have many expressions.

Sorry. Frank sounded embarrassed. I'm stuck. That happens sometimes when I panic.

It's okay, Camilla said. Let's just figure out how to escape.

Frank swam around the tank and reported no exits. The top was covered in Celestial bronze mesh, like curtains that roll down over closed storefronts at the mall. Camilla and Percy tried to cut through with their swords, but they didn't even make a dent. Percy tried to smash through the glass wall with his sword hilt—again, no luck. He and Camilla repeated the effort with several of the weapons lying around the bottom of the tank and managed to break three tridents, a sword, and a speargun.

Percy and Camilla tried to control the water. Camilla wasn't sure if it was because her powers were still new, but nothing happened. The water didn't obey. She tried to concentrate until her ears popped, but it was useless.

Camilla chewed on her lip, grimacing at the salt water taste in her mouth. Why was she even on this stupid quest if she couldn't do anything? Maybe Neptune had been smart not to claim her—why would he ever want to claim such a disappointment?

Phorcys had promised they'd learn to love their captivity. Camilla thought about the dazed telkhines, the Nereids and hippocampi, all swimming in bored, lazy circles. The thought of ending up like that didn't help lower her anxiety levels.

She wondered if Phorcys was right. Even if they managed to escape, how could they defeat the giants if the gods were all incapacitated? Bacchus might be able to help. He had killed the twin giants once before, but he would only join the fight if he got some impossible tribute.

Look! Frank said.

Outside the glass, Keto was leading Coach Hedge through the amphitheater, lecturing him on something while the coach nodded and admired the stadium seating.

Coach! Percy yelled, though it was hopeless—the satyr couldn't hear telepathic yelling.

Frank bumped his head against the glass.

Hedge didn't seem to notice them. Keto walked him briskly across the amphitheater. She didn't even look through the glass, probably because she assumed the tank was still empty. She pointed to the far end of the room as if saying, Come on. More gruesome sea monsters this way.