one

I fiddled with my thumbs as I watched my father's car pull up to the street next to King's Cross Station

I fiddled with my thumbs as I watched my father's car pull up to the street next to King's Cross Station. Even though I had painted my nails just last night, they were already starting to chip. I tucked my hands under my legs.

Today was the day I would be going to Hogwarts. For the past five years, I've attended Beauxbatons Academy of Magic in France. My mother had gone there, and she had forced me to go there. I hated it there. The girls made fun of me because I wasn't fluent in French.

My mother died in May. She was by murdered by Death Eaters for being a muggleborn. Although we didn't have the best relationship, I still missed her everyday. Whenever I thought about her, my heart would pang with guilt. I wished that I had appreciated her more when she was alive. Before she was murdered, I didn't support Voldemort and his Death Eaters, of course, but now I resented them. I wanted them to pay for what they had done to her.

"We're here, sweetie," my father said. "I have to go to work, so can I just drop you off here?"

I nodded. "That's fine, dad."

"I love you, you know that right?" He patted my leg. "You have a good year. And promise me you'll to write to me."

I smiled. "I promise. I love you, dad."

"Make sure you get into any other house besides Slytherin!" he exclaimed. He had gone to Hogwarts when he was younger, and had been a Gryffindor.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I won't be in Slytherin, dad. Do you really think that low of me?"

He chuckled as I pushed open the car door and stepped out of the car. Wind hit me in the face like a knife. I flinched as I closed the door behind me. I walked to the back of the car and opened the boot. I pulled out my trunk, which was full with all of the things I needed for school.

I dragged my trunk into the train station. It was rather heavy, since I had not only bought the required course books, but also a few others that had seemed interesting. I had always loved to read. When I was being made fun of at Beauxbatons, reading books was like escaping the harsh reality for a short time.

I glanced up at the platform numbers. 8, 9, 10... but there was no 9 3/4, like my father had said. I looked around. There had to be other wizards trying to get to the train, right?

My eyes landed on a family coming my way. A mother, father, and a son who looked like he was about my age. The father had pale, long blond hair and an evil smirk on his face. The son looked similar to the father, except he had shorter hair. The mother had two toned hair. The outside was black and the inside was blonde. She had kind eyes, but she still had a look on her face that screamed, I'm better than you! They were all dressed strangely, wearing long dressing robes. They had to be wizards.

"Train leaves in ten minutes," the woman said, "we better hurry."

Ten minutes? My train left in ten minutes. They were definitely wizards.