fifty-six

There was the sound of commotion as people fought around us. The battle had begun.

"Come on," Draco said, standing up and brushing off his pants.

I stood up next to him. "What do we do now?"

"We'll just wait it out, come on—"

"Wait it out? What, we're not going to fight?" I asked.

"You want to fight your own friends?"

"No!" I exclaimed. "We need to fight the Death Eaters. Voldemort can't win."

He shook his head. "We can't fight them. We are Death Eaters. How's that going to look if Voldemort wins?"

"He's not going to win," I pressed. "Because we're not going to let him win. We have to fight."

He stood there, staring at me.

I gulped. "So either come fight with me, or go run and hide like a coward. It's your choice."

He stared at me. For a moment I thought he was going to decline, but then he nodded. "Let's fight."

"Good choice," I said. I grabbed his hand and together we ran down the corridor and into the courtyard, where there was a large battle talking place.

I stepped forward, ready to fight for my school, for my life.

"Wait," Draco muttered, gripping my hand and spinning me around to face him.

"Yeah?"

"Promise me you'll be okay. Promise me you'll stay alive," he said, his grey eyes shining in the moonlight.

"You know I can't promise you that," I whispered.

"You have to be okay," he breathed. "Because I love you, Eva. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I love you too, Draco," I said. I let go of his hand and ran into battle.

A Death Eater shot a stunning spell at me and I dodged it. It shot past me and hit a pillar. I raised my wand and a spell shot out of it, hitting him in the chest and sending him into the air. There was a loud crunch of bones breaking as he landed on the floor a few feet away.

"Evangeline!"

I spun around. My dad was running toward me. My eyes widened as I ran into his arms, embracing him. He buried his face into my hair. "Oh, I thought I would never see you again... I should've done something to get you outta there..."

"You did what was right," I muttered. "I'm fine, Dad. I survived."

"You're so strong, my sweet girl, just like your mother was," he said. He pulled away and looked at me.

"Hey!" I turned around, still clutching my dad. The Death Eater that I had hit had come stumbling back. "Aren't you that Evangeline girl?" he shouted. "Aren't you a Death Eater?"

"What is he talking about?" my dad whispered. "Why is he saying you're a Death Eater?"

"Dad..."

"Because you're not a Death Eater, right? You wouldn't do that. You're better than that."

"I didn't have a choice," I said. "Dad, he would have killed me... I didn't want to."

He looked down at me with disbelief in his eyes.

I turned away from him. Raising my wand, I hit the Death Eater with a stunning spell and he collapsed onto the floor.

"You're not fighting with them?" my dad asked.

"Of course I'm not fighting with them, dad. Do you really think that low of me?" I said, a slight smile creeping onto my face.

"I'm proud of you, you know that right?" he said. "So proud."

"I know," I replied.

Spells shot over our heads. We turned around, raised our wands, and shot stunning spells at two Death Eaters.

"Eva!" Another voice came shouting. I looked over. Draco was coming toward me.

"Draco!"

He raced forward and pulled me into his arms. "Are you okay?"

"Fine, I'm fine," I breathed into his shoulder.

"Who's this?" my dad asked.

I pulled away from Draco. "Oh, dad, this is..."

Before I could finish my sentence, there was a flash of green light as a spell hit my dad in the chest. I turned around sharply to see Bellatrix Lestrange in the corner of my eye, grinning as she held her wand up.

I turned back. As if the world was in slow motion, I watched the life slowly leave my dad's eyes. He collapsed onto the ground.

"Dad!" I screamed.

I collapsed onto the floor next to him. He couldn't be dead. He was just alive...

"Daddy," I sobbed, tears spilling out of my eyes. "Dad... no..." I shook his body, but his cold, dead eyes just stared back up at me. There was no life in him anymore.

"Dad, please... no!"

Draco crouched down on the floor next to me. He wrapped his arm around me as I sobbed into him. "I'm sorry, Evangeline, I'm so sorry..."

"He can't be dead!" I cried. "He can't... he was the only family I had left."

"You have me," Draco said. "I'm your family now."

"Yeah?"

"Yes," he finished. "Now, I'm sorry Evangeline, but we have to move." He looked up worriedly at the people fighting around us.

"I can't just leave him here," I sobbed.

"Someone will come and retrieve his body, Eva. We have to get to safety," he said softly.

I clung to my dad's body. I didn't want to let go. "I can't..." I looked around. The battle was beginning to die around us. They were retreating.

"Eva," he said gently. "That's not your dad anymore. Your dad is gone. That body is what he used to be, but he's not there anymore."

"My dad is gone," I cried. I slowly removed my hands from his body. "My dad is gone."

Draco lifted me up off the ground and together we made our way back into the castle.