fifty-one

Draco began to pull up his pants and buckle his belt. I reached down and retrieved my dress off of the floor. I looked down at my arm with the Dark Mark on it. It was red and inflamed from scratching it so much.

"The pain will get better," Draco said.

I turned around and looked at him. "What?"

"I remember how much it hurt when I first got my Dark Mark," he said. "But it will get better. Mine doesn't even hurt know, except when Voldemort calls us, of course."

"What do you mean, when Voldemort calls you?" I asked.

"That's how Voldemort notifies his followers. The scar begins to burn on our arms," he explained.

"Oh," I said.

"What I'm trying to say is, the pain will get better. I know it sucks, but it will get better," he said.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

I reached down and stepped into my dress, pulling it up over my body.

"Can you zip up my dress?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure," he muttered. He walked over and zipped my dress up. I shivered as his hands touched my bare back.

"Thanks." I pulled on my heels and attempted to smooth my hair down again.

I flinched as Draco reached out and touched the mark on my arm. He held out his own arm up to mine, where the mark was etched onto it. "Look," he mumbled in my ear, "we match."

I smiled. "We do match."

He grinned and pulled on his jacket. I slipped on my heels and tried to smooth my hair down, but the frizz just wouldn't settle.

"Come on," he hissed as he twisted the doorknob and pulled open the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I replied, following him out of the room.

As we stepped out of the room, we could hear the Death Eaters talking downstairs in the dining room. A man raised his voice into a shout and multiple voices shouted to rebuttal him.

"Your hair looks awful," Draco muttered, scratching the top of my head.

"Hey!" I exclaimed in a whisper, batting his hand away. "You're going to make it worse."

"Sorry," he said, his lips twisting into a playful smile.

I grabbed the railing as we descended down the stairs. More shouts came from the dining room. "What do you think's going on in there?" I asked him.

"I don't know, but I don't think it's good," he muttered.

We entered the dining room, where it appeared that a large fight had just ended.

"There you two are," Narcissa said. "I was calling your names about fifteen minutes ago."

"Sorry," Draco grunted. "We didn't hear you."

I nodded, my face blushing furiously. "Yeah, we didn't hear you."

We slid into our seats. Draco cleared his throat. "So, what did we miss?"

"Nothing much, dear," Narcissa replied.

Draco raised an eyebrow. "Really? He heard a lot of fighting on our way down here."

Narcissa pursed her lips. "That doesn't concern you. What does concern you is that you two," she said, looking at me, "are going back to Hogwarts."

My eyes widened. "Seriously?"

Narcissa smiled. "Seriously."

My lips broke out into a smile. "Thank you. When are we going back?"

"Tomorrow," she replied.

"Tomorrow?" Draco exclaimed. "That's quick."

Narcissa nodded. "I know, but you've missed a lot of school, and I really want you to continue with your education."

From the end of the table, Voldemort cleared his throat and everyone turned to look at him. "Well, I think that is enough for today's meeting. You are dismissed."

There was a faint murmur as everyone began to rise from their seats and leave. I turned to Draco and smiled. "We're going back to Hogwarts."

He reached out and squeezed my hand under the table. "I know."

Narcissa looked over at me from across the table. "Why is your hair so messy, dear?"

"Oh," I said, reaching my hand up to smooth down my hair. "I don't know."

She frowned, but didn't press the issue. She stood up and walked into the kitchen.

I clapped my hand over my mouth and looked at Draco, who was trying to repress his laughter.

"Do you think she knows?" I hissed. "Because your mum is like, all-knowing or something. Oh god, she probably knows, right? Does she think I'm a slut?"

"Evangeline, you're overthinking," he said. "She doesn't know, and even if she somehow did, she doesn't care, alright?"

"You're probably right... I just want her to like me," I said.

"She likes you. She likes you a lot, so don't worry," he assured me.

"Okay." I nodded. "Yeah, she totally likes me."

He stood up and held out his hand for me to take. "Come on, I'll show you around the house."

————————

I'm sorry this was kinda short :/