five

The next few weeks past by fairly quickly

The next few weeks past by fairly quickly. We got swarmed with homework from all of our teachers, so that kept me fairly busy. I was starting to have a good friendship with Hermione Granger. I bantered with Draco Malfoy, all was normal.

One Thursday afternoon, as I was lounging outside in the courtyard, my nose buried in Hogwarts: A History, which Hermione had recommended, I saw a blond head approach me. I glanced up from my book. It was Draco Malfoy.

"You got a question, Malfoy?" I said as I snapped my book shut.

"Yes, actually, I do," he said.

I raised my eyebrows. "Okay, then ask me."

He crossed his arms. "There's a Quidditch game tomorrow. Gryffindor versus Slytherin. I'll be playing."

"I didn't know you played Quidditch," I said. "What position do you play?"

"Seeker," he replied. "I'm brilliant."

I rolled my eyes. "Wow, arrogant much?"

"Just stating the truth," he drawled. "So, are you coming?"

"Yeah, okay, I'll be there." I opened my book and looked down at it, but Draco remained. "Do you need something else?"

"We need a commentator, for the game," he said. "Lee Jordan used to do it but he graduated last year."

"What are you asking me?" I asked.

"I'm asking you if you want to be the commentator," he said.

I thought for a moment but then I smiled. "Sure, that sounds fun, actually."

He smiled at me. "Good. Have you ever played Quidditch?"

I shook my head. "No, I've never played before."

His eyes widened in surprise. "Never? You've never played Quidditch?"

I shrugged. "There was a team at Beauxbatons, but I never had the desire to join."

"Oh," he said. "You should try it sometime, really. It's really enjoyable."

"Maybe I will."

He smiled at me and I watched him walk away, disappearing into the distance. I opened my book and started reading.

* * *

The next day, the school was bright with spirit. Mostly people were dressed in scarlet, as they were cheering for Gryffindor. Even the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were siding with them. As I made my way to the seating lining the pitch, the sun way shining brightly down on the grass.

I made my way to the commentators box. Professor McGonagall was there with a smile on her face. "Hello, Miss Hastings, Draco has just informed me that you have accepted the position of commentator."

"Yes, Professor," I said. "So, how exactly does this work? I've never commentated a Quidditch game before."

"It's quite simple, really," she said. "you just announce what is happening, and give it some personality, it really lightens up the game."

I nodded. "I think I can do that."

I sat down and adjusted the microphone so that it aligned with my mouth. I gazed down at the pitch. The players were starting to come out. I watched the Gryffindor captain, Harry Potter, shake hands with the burly Slytherin captain, Marcus Flint. Flint was a few years older as the other seventh years, as he was so dumb that he gotten held back. Madam Hootch blew her whistle to signal the start of the game.

I cleared my throat. "And Slytherin chaser Oliver Patter gets the Quaffle, I hope he's as good at Quidditch as he is at getting T's on his O.W.L's."

The crowd gave a roar, and I grinned. Even though I was a Slytherin, making fun of them was just pure entertainment. "Patter shoots the ball— and oh! Ron Weasley blocks it! Apparently he did awful last year, so it's good that he's redeeming himself."

The Slytherins cheered, but the Gryffindors booed. "Katie Bell has taken possession of the Quaffle. And...Gryffindor scores! That's 10-0 Gryffindor."

"Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter seem to be looking for the snitch, Potter's probably going to catch it though, he nearly always does. Malfoy's not a very good seeker," I called.

"Ginny Weasley takes the Quaffle. Geez, how many kids do they have?" The crowd laughed. "Slytherin Keeper Randall Dentson fails to block the goal. Gryffindor scores! He's not a very good Keeper, is he?"

As the match went on, Gryffindor scored 60 more points, putting the score to 80-0. We were going to lose, I was sure of it, but I didn't really care that much. I was having so much fun commentating.

Suddenly, Draco sped toward the ground on his broom. I watched intently as he reached his hand out to grasp something. Harry had noticed this and he was trailing behind him.

"It seems that Draco Malfoy has seen the snitch! Will he actually catch it, or will Potter beat him again?"

I watched as Draco's hands closed around the snitch. "Malfoy's caught the snitch! I can't believe it, but Slytherin has won! 150-80!"

The Slytherins broke out into a loud cheer. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw booed loudly. I heard chants start. "Malfoy! Malfoy! Malfoy!"

The Slytherin Quidditch team hoisted Draco onto their shoulders. He was grinning wildly. My heart felt happy for him. I had heard from Hermione that Harry usually caught the snitch. This game, Draco had finally caught the snitch. He had finally succeeded.