ten

That night, I cried silently into my pillow to make sure the other girls in my room couldn't hear me

That night, I cried silently into my pillow to make sure the other girls in my room couldn't hear me. Pansy would tease me mercilessly if she had heard me. I had actually started to trust Draco, and he in turn had done that to me. He had embarrassed me.

The next morning, my face was blotchy and red from crying. I sauntered down the staircase into the common room. Luckily, Draco wasn't in there. There was just a third year girl sprawled out on an armchair, nose deep in a book. I exited the Slytherin common room and made my way to the Great Hall to grab some breakfast.

The Great Hall was packed with people. I took a seat at the end of the Slytherin Table. I grabbed a piece of toast and spread some butter and strawberry jam onto it. Pansy, Millicent, Daphne, and some other Slytherin girls that I didn't know were deep in a conversation a few seats down from me.

"I think Draco likes me," I heard Pansy say. "He smiled at me yesterday at dinner."

"Ooh!" Daphne exclaimed. "You guys should so get married. You're kids would be so cute!"

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of orange juice, which was tangy and had the perfect amount of pulp.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I spun around. It was the grinning face of Cormac McLaggen. I groaned internally. I had hoped that after the incident in the Three Broomsticks, he would just leave me alone.

"Hey, Eva," he said and plopped into the seat next to me. "How are you?"

I scooted over abruptly to avoid touching him. "Fine," I replied hastily. "You?"

"Good," he said, staring at me intently. "I had such a good time yesterday, and I was just wondering if you wanted to go out again."

I froze. I didn't want to go out with him again, but I didn't want to be mean either. "I dunno, Cormac. I've been pretty busy with school work..."

"Oh, come on," he said. "You don't have any free time?"

"Not really," I replied, shoving the last bite of toast into my mouth.

He frowned. "Come on, I think you liked our last date, didn't you? We had such a good time..."

"I said I'm busy," I said, more firmly this time. "I really haven't got any time."

He cocked his head to the side. "Come on, you know you want to."

"I really don't think she wants to, McLaggen," a drawling voice came from behind us that I recognized immediately as the infamous Draco Malfoy.

"We're trying to have a conversation, Malfoy," Cormac snapped. "Mind your own business."

"No," Draco stated simply.

"Yes, Malfoy," I interrupted. "We were in the middle of a conversation. Go away."

He stared at me in surprise. "No need to be rude. I'm trying to help."

"I don't need your help!" I snapped.

"Wow, babe," said Cormac. "You tell him."

I whipped around to face him. "And I don't want to go out with you, Cormac!" I shrieked. "So take a hint and leave me alone!"

I got up from the table and stomped out of the Great Hall, leaving Cormac with a very shocked expression plastered upon his face. Draco followed after me.

"Wait!" he called.

I ignored him and kept walking.

"Hastings!" he yelled. "Wait!"

I spun around. "What do you want, Malfoy?"

He stopped, panting. "I need to talk to you."

"There's nothing to talk about."

He looked at me guiltily. "I want to talk about last night."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "What about it, Malfoy? Huh, come to shove it in my face, have you?"

"No!" he exclaimed. "I wanted to say that what I did was wrong, and I'm sorry.

My eyes widened. Draco Malfoy was not the kind of person to admit that he was wrong, or ever apologize.

"Well," I said, "I don't accept your apology."

He looked at me sadly. "Please, please forgive me."

"No, Draco!" I yelled. "I'm not going to forgive you! You're a manipulative, lying little scum—"

"Excuse me."

My yelling had caught the attention of Professor McGonagall, and she had come over to us. "What are you two doing?"

"Talking," I replied hastily.

"It didn't sound like talking," she said. "And aren't you two supposed to be in class?"

I glanced down at my watch. Crap, it was ten already. We were supposed to be in Herbology.

"Sorry, Professor," I muttered. "I forgot."

She looked between the two of us, and down at our green Slytherin robes. Something flickered in her eyes; hatred. Hatred for the Slytherin house.

"Detention, both of you," she said.

"But, Professor!" I exclaimed.

"Detention tonight in my office, eight o'clock sharp. Don't be late." She glared at us. "And please, get to class." She turned around and stalked off down the hall.

Something in me realized that if we weren't in Slytherin, she probably wouldn't have given us the detention.

"Wow, Hastings," Draco said. "You really got us a detention."

"I didn't get us a detention!" I snapped.

"You were the one yelling!" he said.

I glared at him. "We should go to class."

"Nah," he said. "I'm skipping. Herbology's stupid."

"You can't skip class," I pushed. "You'll miss the lesson."

"I have better things to do," he said.

I folded my arms over my chest. "Like what?"

"None of your business," he replied hastily. He turned around and swaggered off.

Why has Draco helped me when Cormac was being a git? Why had he apologized to me? I wondered if maybe he was a good person after all. I pushed those thoughts away.

Draco Malfoy is not a good person, and he never will be.