forty-five

My heart thumped in my chest. Time seemed to slow down. They were gone.

They were going to come back for me, right?

Right?

A grin spread across Bellatrix's face. "Well!" she cackled. She pulled my robes and spun me around so that I faced her. I was so close to her that I could feel her breath on my face. "Looks like they forgot one!"

My face was still bleeding. I choked back a sob.

"I'm going to have so much fun with you," Bellatrix sneered.

"No--please--" I sobbed.

Bellatrix pushed me onto the ground and trapped me with her arms. She reached into her pocket, but stopped suddenly. "My wand!" she shrieked. "They took my wand!"

"Bella," Narcissa said, her voice high. "Let's just put her back in the cellar, alright?"

Bellatrix turned to her. "Cissy, give me your wand! It's on the floor over there--after that wretched elf disarmed you."

"No, Bella, you don't have time to torture her right now. Our house is a mess. The chandelier-- we need to clean this up," Narcissa said.

Lucius limped over. "I don't understand," he hissed. "How did they escape?" Lucius turned around and went down into the cellar, where he would surely discover Wormtail's body.

"Well, not all of them escaped," Bellatrix sneered, turning back to face me. She reached her hand out and ran her sharp nail down my cheek. "If I had my wand, I would show you what real pain felt like, girl. So Cissy, give me your wand!"

"No, Bella--"

Lucius emerged into the drawing room. "How did you do it?" he hissed at me.

"What?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

"How did you kill Wormtail?"

"Wormtail's dead?" Bellatrix screeched. "Well, I didn't know Harry Potter and his friends were capable of murder!"

I shook my head. "We didn't kill him. He killed himself--well, he kind of killed himself."

"What does that mean?" Bellatrix taunted. "He kind of killed himself?"

"His hand," I sobbed, "that silver one. It wrapped itself around his neck and strangled him to death."

"That's a lie!" Bellatrix screamed.

"He did look like he had been strangled, Bellatrix," Lucius said.

"Why would his own hand have strangled him? I mean, that man was useless, really, but that's just impossible! His own hand strangled him?" Bellatrix turned back to Narcissa. "Give me your wand, Cissy! Now!"

Narcissa bent down and picked her wand up off of the floor. She shoved it into her pocket.

"Draco," Lucius snapped. "Take this girl down to the cellar."

"No," Draco echoed, finally speaking.

"Excuse me?" Bellatrix said. "No?"

"No," Draco repeated. "I won't take her down to the cellar."

I flicked my eyes over to meet Draco's. What was he doing?

"And why is that, Draco?" Lucius asked in a drawling voice.

"I'm not letting you imprison her in the basement anymore," Draco said in a form voice, his fists clenched at his sides.

"You won't let us?" Bellatrix mocked. "You are a child, Draco! You don't let us do anything! We tell you what to do and you do it, so go and take the girl into the cellar!"