twenty-six

Snape and I dropped Draco into a hospital bed

Snape and I dropped Draco into a hospital bed. His wounds had already healed, but his shirt was still soaked in blood. It was fairly late at night, and Madam Pomfrey had already left.

"That spell— I've never heard of it before— what was it?" I asked Snape.

Snape flicked his eyes towards mine. He hesitated, but then he said, "Never mind that, just get me the essence of dittany."

I stared at him. "But—"

"Now!" he snapped.

I stammered and scrambled away to retrieve the dittany. I found it on a shelf and handed it to Snape.

Snape peeled back Draco's shirt and started to apply the dittany to his wounds. The scars started to disappear. After a while, they were all gone, and I let out a breath that I hadn't realized I had been holding.

Draco opened his eyes and groaned. "Oh, Merlin..."

"Draco!" I exclaimed. As though by instinct, I reached out and gripped his hand. "You're all right."

"Yeah... I swear I'm going to kill Potter next time I see him," he grumbled.

I let out a soft chuckle.

"No, I'm actually going to kill him," he said, but his lip had twisted into a mischievous smirk.

"Yes, you are very lucky to have even survived that spell, Draco," Snape drawled.

"That spell was deadly?" I asked, my mouth agape in shock.

"Let's just say, if I hadn't gotten there in time..." he trailed off. "Well, I need to go... attend to Mr. Potter."

He readjusted his cloak and then strode out of the hospital wing, his heels clicking as he walked.

"I don't understand why Harry did this," I said as soon as Snape had left. "I mean, I know you two aren't exactly on good terms, but I find it hard to believe that he would try and kill you."

"I was the one who attacked him first," Draco said softly. "I shot the first spell."

I sighed. "Yes, but why would he try and kill you? It doesn't make sense..."

"I don't know," Draco said quietly. "I don't know."

I looked down and noticed that our hands were still intertwined tightly together.

"Why were you there, anyway?" he asked.

I blushed. "Oh— I was just... passing by, and I heard the commotion."

He raised an eyebrow. "You followed me, didn't you?"

"Well, I—" I paused for a moment. "Yes, I followed you," I admitted. "I really just wanted to make sure you were okay. You seemed a bit distraught in Potions after I asked about Dumbledore."