Proposition

Axel's POV

Leo leaned in and brushed something off my shirt.

"You have some white fuzz," he said.

Disappointment was there and it was horrifying. I ignored it. "I own a white rug."

Right, where were we? Leo said he thought we were more than boss/employee. He thought we were friends.

He was looking at me expectantly.

I ripped my mind away from the gutter and cleared my throat. "Anyway, yes. I completely agree; that's why I'm telling you all this. I can trust you with it."

Even though my brain had short-circuited and I'd completely lost track of the conversation, I was happy to make Leo smile.

"I'm glad," he said. Then a teasing edge to his smile appeared. "And I can't complain about having you as my lunch date."

Okay, there was the flirting. Usually I found myself rolling my eyes and shrugging it off, but today I let it stand. "Let me guess, the only part you paid attention to was that I like men."

Leo laughed, but it was a little restrained. "Usually I'd say yes, but honestly? I feel bad for you right about now."

Great. Even Leo pitied me enough to not flirt with me.

Also, note to self: self-pity did not help with getting gay-laid.

"Yeah, it sucks," I admitted, "but I'm excited too. Like, as long as I get to be involved in the baby's life I'll be happy."

Leo blinked. "Right, the baby. I thought you meant you were excited to be bisexual."

Hopefully my glare was deadpan enough to get the message across. "Yeah, no, the baby thing is actually taking up more of my mental process. Believe it or not."

Leo shrugged a little and rested his hand over mine. "Maybe this gay thing can be a way to relieve stress? Over the baby thing?"

"Yeah, that's actually what my roommate said."

Leo tilted his head, a bit of a twinkle in his eyes. "Oh? Is that why you're here?"

Shit. Was he kidding? Was he serious? What was I supposed to say to that?

Mouth hanging open long enough to be socially awkward, I finally said, "Yeah."

Leo laughed.

I was silent.

He stopped laughing. "Wait, seriously?"

Holy shit, he was joking.

"I'm actually going to die on the spot right now." I buried my face into my hands. "Leave me to rest in peace."

Leo leaned in, smiling wide, eyes locked in on me. "Tell me more about what we're actually having lunch for, Axel."

"Stop, this is humiliating."

"I'm enjoying myself."

My face was on fire. It was embarrassing to have to face my own boss and admit that I found him attractive. "To be fair," I said with a lot more gusto than I felt, "you hit on me constantly."

Leo was shameless. He nodded. "Because you're adorable."

"Hold on, adorable?"

He plopped his face into a palm and gazed at me. "Yes. I love this macho thing you have going on."

I fidgeted. "Oh?"

"You dress and act like you're a tough guy, but then you're always so sweet and shy."