f i v e

"You're an FBI agent?" Ana couldn't believe that the man she'd hooked up with almost two months ago was standing in front of her again. Wasn't the silent deal that they'd never see each other again? She assumed it was since he never did call her.

"You're a psychiatrist?" He asked back, inching closer to her desk.

Charlotte stood in the corner, her eyes widening with every passing minute. Her boss and the absolutely hot FBI agent? Hell yeah! She silently slinked out the office, giving them space for the agent to conduct his interview.

She cleared her throat, the shock of seeing him dissipating slowly. "You're here about the murders right? Well ask away."

Aaron nodded slowly, pulling out a small black notebook and a pen. "How long were you Miss Vale's Doctor for?"

"Three weeks."

"And she was of sound mental state?"

She blanched, "That's confidential. I'm sorry."

"Right. Sorry." He muttered. "Did you share information about her mental state with any of the other doctors? Maybe one who was also treating her?"

Ana shook her head. "Not about her, no."

Aaron lifted his head up sharply from scribbling down something in his notebook. "But you did share something?"

Ana nodded uncomfortably. Suddenly feeling like she'd made a horrible mistake. "Uh I consulted on a patient who was going into a life changing surgery. One of the residents on the patients case asked about his mental health and I obliged, seeing as he was actually listed as one of the doctors on the patients file."

"Wouldn't you have included the patients mental state in their file? Why ask you directly?"

"He said something about wanting to hear it from me, even though he knew it was in the file." Ana elaborated, thinking back to the conversation her and James had.

"Do you think the information you gave him was enough to make him believe that the patient would have been better off dead then alive?" Hotch asked, having established a flow after he'd discovered a lead.

Ana shook her head, "No."

"The name of this doctor?" Aaron's pen was poised over his paper, waiting to scribble down the name of their newest suspect.

Ana breathed deeply, knowing what this could mean for James. "Dr James Maguire, surgical resident."

Aaron nodded. "Thank you Ana. You've been a big help."

Ana smiled nervously, "I'm glad." She hesitated. "Aaron? How come you never called?" She regretted the words as soon as they tumbled out of her mouth. She sounded so... desperate. But she genuinely was curious, so she could get over the humiliation later.

Aaron bit back a smile as he realized what she was talking about. "I wanted to. Well I meant to." He replied. "But I got caught up with work and personal matters and didn't have the time."

Ana nodded, wondering if she were in his position, whether she would call him. With her new job and changes in her life, she concluded that she probably wouldn't.

"It's never too late though." She grinned, feeling a surge of confidence after his admission.

He finally let himself smile. Standing up, her following suit, he held out his hand for her to shake. She took it in his, his grip firm and his hand warm around hers.

"I'll take that into consideration. Thank you Dr Pierce."

She smirked, "Anytime Agent Hotchner."