𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗 | 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝑷𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒂𝒏 |

"He has proven to be a worthy adversary," King Edmund acknowledges as my squire, Becc Stowes, secures my armour

"Indeed he has," I grumble. As much as it pains me to admit it, Queen Susan's latest suitor is an excellent jouster. 

"But you can win, I am confident," 

"As easily as I can lose," I remind him. 

"In all the years we have been friends, you have rarely lost a jousting," 

True. I have remained almost undefeated champion of the Spring Joust. And that time I lost I was only defeated by King Peter. Still... 

"Let's not tempt the fates, shall we?" 

"I must thank you once more for puting yourself in harms way for my sister. If I could fight in your steed I would. I should like nothing more than to unhorse Prince Rabadash's fake ass," 

I chuckle at his remark enjoying it a little more than I should. 

"I take it you do not approve of him then," 

He scoffs, clearly indicating his dislike of Prince Rabadash. "Do you?" 

No, I do not. He does not deserve Queen Susan. 

"It is hardly my place to approve or disapprove of Queen Susan's suitors," I reply. HE agrees with a nod. "But you are her brother. Surely you can council her on such matters," 

He shakes his head. "It is hardly my place to tell her who to fancy. And even if I were to share with her my concerns, it is not like she listens to me on such matters. If she did she would have said yes to Lord Colin. He was pleasant," 

Ah, yes, Lord Colin. Out of all of Queen Susan's suitors he is the only one who King Edmund ever liked and approved of. 

"He was," I agree out of obligation, but change the matter back to my oponent. My oponent in every sense of the word. "Do you think she is likely to accept his advances?" I ask, masking my concern with indiference, but for a second I feel as if he sees right through me.  

"I do not presume to know my sister's mind, but it seems to be too early to know. You know how indecisive she can be on these matters. In fact, I am positive if another offer were to present itself to her she'd aconfused and forget all about Prince Rabadash," 

"You think so?" Maybe I could... no, that would be ridiculous. Prince Rabadash is heir to an Empire, I offer nothing in comparison. 

"Possibly," King Edmund picks up a goblet and brings it to his lips. "Which is why you must defeat the Prince,"  

I laugh nervously. "I will certainly try, but-" the trumpet anouncing the impending last joust sounds. 

"All ready, My Lord," Stows informs me. 

"I ought to get going," King Edmund stands up. "The sooner he looses the sooner he'll lose my sister's favour so do me a favour and knock him off his horse for me, will you?" 

I laugh. "I shall try my best," 

No pressure at all. 

I mount my steed and Stowes hands me my lance. 

"Good luck," 

Just one more triumph away from victory.  

The crowd cheers as I ride into the list field, I am a favourite of theirs. I visualize my oponent on the other side, mounting a most noble beast, wearing a most expensive suit of armour, and holding Queen Susan's favour in his lance. King Edmund said he asked for it instead of waiting for her to offer it. That's not how it's supposed to work. I turn to look at my lance. Her favour usually hangs from it next to Queen Lucy's, who always bets on my favour, but today it does not. Can she really fancy him? 

The trumpet sounds again and I focus on my opponent. My opponent in every sense of the word. I charge at him. 

All sound fades to the background as I focus all of my attention on defeating the Calormen. Once I am close enough, I lower my lance and look for an opening. I find one rather easily and direct my lance at him, but, just as I am doing so, I become blinded by the sun's reflection on the Prince's ruby-encrusted armour loosing my sight for an instant and with it my one chance at victory. Prince Rabadash takes the oportunity making his lance collide against me, sending splinters flying about and a wave of pain through my shoulder. I have lost. 

"How's the shoulder?" King Edmund enters my tent

"It's nothing," I reply as Stowes helps me off the armor. And it trully is nothing. "Just a bruise," I roll my arm to demonstrate it's alright despite the pain it causes. 

"What happened? I thought you had him," 

"I did, I had him, but that armour of his, he might as well have been wearing mirrors," 

"Hmmph. It does make one wonder..." 

Oh. Yes. Maybe his other opponents were blinded as well. 

"On the possitive note, you've now got all the ladies worked up and concerned about you. Even Lady Roselynn is out there," 

"She is a good friend," 

King Edmund shakes his head. "Remind me again why you broke things off with her?" 

"It was mutual. It wasn't working," 

"Well, you could have your pick out there.

"As could you," 

"Touché," 

 "You know, you've even got my sister worried," 

"Queen Susan?"

"No, Lucy. Susan's congratulating the Prince. Do you think wearing such a distracting armour ought to be considered as cheating?" 

"I do not think that's in the rules," I know them by heart and there is nothing in there about armour restrictions in that sense. 

"I could always re-write them," Edmund proposes.

I chuckle. 

"Perks of being the king," he smirks. "Ah, I ought to get going. can't leave Susan alone with him. I'll see you at the feast, my friend," he stops right before walking out the door. "Don't leave your admirers waiting for too long," he laughs. 

"I shan't," I laugh as well, though the only one I care about is not out there.