4 | Hiding (II)

"What are you?" Xanthy eyed the being as it crossed its arms

"What are you?" Xanthy eyed the being as it crossed its arms. It had taken Xanthy a while to adjust to the fact that she wasn't in Umazure anymore, that, apparently, she was stuck in this pseudo-world called the Realm of the Lost.

"I am the embodiment of the Arbotro Fentimanis," the being pressed a hand against its chest. "I am the guardian of the island of Umazure. I maintain the barrier between the Fairy, Elven, and Dwarven territories. I assign the synnavaimis as I determine which child will be born. I am eternal and I am the breath of life."

"Hold up. Hold up," Xanthy waved her hands in the air as a snippet of memory flashed in her brain. It was of a man with long green hair saying that the Arbotro was a tree of the myths. "The Arbotro? That's a tree. You don't look like a tree."

The being snickered. The sound of it bounced against the darkness before whittling away in a silent hiss. "I am an entity that can manifest any way I wish," it replied. "If I were to show you my real essence, you and this entire realm would have burned to ashes long ago."

A shiver ran down Xanthy's spine. That didn't sound anywhere near comforting. "Are you saying that the myths are real?" Xanthy inclined her head to one side. A hesitant chuckle rose from her chest. "That you're not just something a fairy drunk with oshella conjured up?"

"I mean, you can see me," the being quipped with a shrug. The light shining through the darkness followed that small movement by going up and down. "You can talk to me so that makes me real, doesn't it?"

Xanthy narrowed her eyes. She might have been imagining all of this and she wouldn't have any way of knowing. But, how far would her imagination need to go if she had to think of every reply the being would say? Was it safe to assume that, for once, she wasn't making things up or dreaming? There's not much choice here, was there? "Alright, I think I can accept that. What of guarding Umazure and the territories?" Xanthy said.

A vague recollection of June explaining these things to her back in Carleon rose to the surface of her mind. If she's going to be honest, she had forgotten half of it due to the stress of the past days before she ended up here. Her stomach turned

"I am sure you have been told of the War?" the being asked. Xanthy nodded through another twist the memory of how she came to know that concept brought to her gut. "Then you know how the barriers came to be."

"The races tried to decimate each other?" Xanthy tapped her chin. "Where were you and why didn't you stop them before it even went too far? Did you really step in at the last part to set-up the barriers?"

The being sighed. "To tell you the tale of the War would be a lost cause since it's long ago."

"But we can still learn something," Xanthy countered. "Mistakes of the past are the lessons of the future."

"Such wisdom from someone of such a young age. Very well," the being chuckled and clapped its hands together. "I will tell you everything about our world in three parts, according to the periods of time. I will tell you about the history, the current events, and the choices you will be facing. Past, present, and future," it held up three fingers to Xanthy's face.