11 | Curiosity (III)

"Tell me, why should I help you?" Kymalin snapped at April who leaned against a tree with a languid smile on her face

"Tell me, why should I help you?" Kymalin snapped at April who leaned against a tree with a languid smile on her face. They were currently on the border between Elshire and Diven after they agreed to get out of that miserable tavern and talk where no one was watching them.

Along the way, they silently passed by even more displaced brownies that escaped from Alkara. Most decided to scrape for a living by offering what little they have as goods to sell. Kymalin spied a few scrawled signs that sold various things for a small amount of versallis.

Some decided to continue their trade like inventing but with the state of things around here, no one bothered to patronize their services. As Kymalin passed them by, she noted signs that were hastily put together were already discarded on various piles around the city.

Kymalin was no stranger to what happened here. The Sovereign brought her mysterious army upon the brownies in Depandes, Toreza, and Zalgend, capturing these cities with such ease with the brownies refusing to fight. The royals escaped, leaving behind the people for the Sovereign to take advantage of. The next week, the Synketros locked off the whole Alkara, banning any kind of trade without the Sovereign knowing about it.

Kymalin had never been to the border herself but she heard that those who hadn't been able to get out of those cities were now being forced to pay taxes from coffers they don't have. Some managed to escape to the neighboring city which was Elshire while others even made it as far as Diven or Flaron. But, as trade was now being limited to Alkara and everywhere else, the merchants of Penleth had fewer businesses now.

Moreover, it's like the land itself sensed these changes in the balance of power and refused to give bounty in terms of products and resources. Kymalin had never seen the forests look so dry and brown. There hadn't been rain for a long time. Even in the Northern lands where rain was as common as trees, Kymalin hadn't seen a drop since she was there.

The brownies had been doing their best to stay afloat as Kymalin had seen. However, they wouldn't be able to much longer since Penleth was once a vibrant nature city but now it's slowly becoming depleted with the sudden influx of brownies inside it.

Flaron was huge, sure, but with Diven already ravaged, it wasn't going to be that long before Flaron joined its sister city. It seems like the Sovereign was intent on conquering both brownie territories sooner or later. Once resources in Alkara have run out, it's a sure course. It's only a matter of time.

Kymalin had seen what the Heiress had done to Dwanzeig even against the Grand Royal's desires. She's willing to bet that the Sovereign would not hesitate to do it to the brownies.

She bit her lip to remind her that she was still here, with her newfound companions. She was still maintaining a soul-cloaking spell to keep them hidden from normal souls passing by. They couldn't be too careful during these trying times and if they're caught talking with the enemy, Cardovia and Synketros would have all of their heads.