5 | Friends

A growl rumbled from Rhys's throat as the nature fairy ducked and rolled away

A growl rumbled from Rhys's throat as the nature fairy ducked and rolled away. The fairy put his arms forward but Rhys wasn't going to let him open his mouth to talk. "Hold on—" the man began. Rhys slashed his sword at his neck.

"I meant no—" Slash. Dodge. "Harm—!"

Rhys opened his hand and sent a tangle of weaving energy at the man's light brown head. The man simply sidestepped it before trying to speak again. "I'm not—"

"Shut it, hag," Rhys lunged at the man's unguarded side. He was sure to pierce the nature fairy's flesh when something grabbed his arms and sent him crashing to the ground. Who—

His sword clattered on the wooden floor. Pidmena's stockings. Where were the other two? Godsdamn it, he forgot about them. He tried moving his arms from the ground when he discovered that there's something preventing him from doing so.

"Look, whoever you are, we're sorry for the roof," the nature fairy stood shakily and began dusting his green robes. He shoved his light brown hair off his forehead. Rhys relaxed and exhaled through his nose.

"That's fine," Rhys answered. A sparkle blossomed in the nature fairy's eyes. Then, without warning, Rhys slammed his foot upward, straight into something fleshy even though he could see nothing holding him down. His grin widened. He had been right. The other two were brownies.

A surprised grunt tumbled off the figure pinning Rhys to the ground. Rhys opened his hands and his sword flew back to his hand. Ha, benefit of having weaved it to a certain degree. He slashed in a wide arc, making the air woosh around him. His eyes traced the strands of hair floating on the air as if they've just been cut from a head. Damn, missed.

Footsteps thudded lightly on the floorboards as the brownie gathered his wits. Rhys bit the inside of his cheek. He's there, by the door. Which just leaves...the woman. Where was she?

The air stirred somewhere to his right. Rhys's eyes flashed. There. He slashed his sword vaguely to his right and shot a blast of pure weaving energy at the shimmering air. A feminine voice gave a pained grunt and judging from the men's reactions, he'd hit true. From the corner of Rhys's eyes, the nature fairy raised his arm, possibly to cast a spell. The male brownie materialized and grabbed the fairy's arm. The latter shook his head.

Rhys wasted no time and lunged for the men while they're debating whether to attack him or not. He was about to slash his sword when an earth-shattering scream filled his ears.

Reeca was awake. He angled his sword at the newcomers, cursing them with everything he had deep inside. How dare they wake his sister? How dare they?

He growled at the back of his throat before sheathing his sword. His weaving energy wrapped around the wall and the two male fairies were pressed against it before they could even blink. Their cries of defiance rang in the air as Rhys rushed to his sister's side. Reeca. That should be his priority.