8 | Trespass (II)

The wind howled in Xanthy's ears but for the first time, she didn't feel the cold

The wind howled in Xanthy's ears but for the first time, she didn't feel the cold. She hugged herself and no warmth flowed to her body. It's like she's just there, neither hot nor cold. "You mentioned that we are in the Realm of the Lost," Xanthy tried her best to silence the howling voices speaking of regret and melancholy. She had failed for the past attempt. "What is this place?"

The being waved its hand. Some of the voices died down like they were slapped aside. "This is a place of retribution where lost souls that couldn't find their way to the afterlife go."

Xanthy scratched her neck even though her skin didn't feel anything. "So, if a person doesn't get buried or blessed when they die, they end up here?"

The being nodded. "That is why those chants and songs haven't faded from your traditions. You'd do best to also bury and bless corpses you come across."

Xanthy hung her head. She had witnessed death since she left the Disfavoreds and among them, only Jarvik had the proper blessing ritual. Another thing she had failed in fulfilling. "What about those who dissolve into fragments?" Xanthy tapped chin, recalling the brownies and the pixies who had turned into clay and embers.

"Then that is what the Temples are for," the being said. "The dead should be honored in those places. The state of the remains they leave behind affects the souls' journeys to the afterlife."

Xanthy looked around. Among all the voices she had heard, which of these souls belonged to the people who died because of her, directly or not?

The being spoke before any of Xanthy's thoughts went deeper. "Souls that have unresolved regret, anger, guilt, and shame also end up here. They have little chance of ever getting out."

"Why?"

"Because they want to go back to life to fix what they left behind," the being turned its light left. The voices gave weak squeals as they sped away from the rays like it burned them. "Unfortunately, no one can bring someone back to life."

Of course. Xanthy knew that full well. Everyone on the island knew that full well. "Not even with all the magic available?"

The being faced Xanthy once again. "That is one of the forbidden spells. Along with the extraction of legacy, soul manipulation, and time travel, the resurrection of the dead is not at all impossible but it simply exacts unbearable consequences."

Xanthy's eyes widened. Erin and the Heiress were all willing to go through the heavy burden of that spell just to get what they want? Well, at least the Sovereign was the only one sane enough to never want Xanthy's legacy. "So these people," Xanthy looked around even though her eyes only registered the endless darkness. "They will never be able to go to the afterlife?"

"Yes."

"And me?" Xanthy inclined her head to one side. "Why am I here when I'm not dead?"

The being touched what was supposed to be her chin. "The victims of the chalice are a special case," it said. "I guess you are lost in your own right since you're neither alive nor dead. Your form lies somewhere in the living realm yet the rest of your soul is here."