Chapter 34: Brownies

I should be relishing in the moment that I just stuck it to Jenny, but I had something else bugging me. My report on The American Revolution was soaked, torn in some areas, and blurry. It was a five-page report that had taken me three days to research and write! And now it was all ruined thanks to a jealous, crazy bitch.

Oh, how I wish I could wring her neck with my bare hands and slam her face with my fist!

“Damn, girl! You were on fire today. Mama’s so proud of you.” Alex hugged my stiff form with fake teary eyes while patting me on the head. We had gone to the bathroom after the little incident that had taken place in the hallway.

I didn’t respond as I was still glaring at my mess of homework that was in the sink. So much time and effort wasted. I could try copying all that was in it to other sheets, but the writing was so blurry now, and I didn’t exactly have good handwriting before. What was I going to do?

“Was that your history home work?” Jane asked as she peeped over my shoulder at my report.

“Yes.” I gruffly answered.

“Oh.” I could see her cringe in the bathroom mirror. “Isn’t that due tomorrow?”

“Yes...yes, Jane. It is. The one that is sixty percent of our grade.” I huffed out in annoyance, turning to her while she flinched back at my tone.

“Woah, calm your panties, will you?” Alex stepped in, cocking her eyebrow at me.

I know Jane wasn’t the one who sabotaged my report, but right now, everything annoyed the heck out of me. I had used the library for that report, something I rarely did since I had a laptop and phone. But I had wanted it to be perfect because our teacher had mentioned it was more than half our total grade. I guess now I would fail the class.

“I’m sorry.” I sighed and apologized to Jane. “It just took me a lot of time to that. I had even used the library. And now it’s all ruined.” I stared in despair at the sheets one last time.

“Hey, kid. Not to worry. It’s due tomorrow, so there’s still time to re-write it.” She encouraged, but I knew there wasn’t much hope.

“Alex, there isn’t much time. I did a lot of research on that and can only remember a few of the things I wrote down. I would need more than a day to do it all over again. It’s harder than you think, weren’t you given one?” I explained exasperatedly.

She rolled her eyes at me before taking the sheets in her hand and squeezing it into a ball. She went and dumped it in a waste bin before coming back.

“Yes, I know all that. But you can make this assignment in a day with help. You just need someone very good with books.” She placed her hands on Jane’s shoulders while suggestively wiggling her eyebrows and sending a smirk my way.

Jane looked a bit confused, but I was already catching on.

“Why’re you guys looking at me like that.” She asked, still looking at both of us confused.

“You’re going to help her with the history assignment, dummy.” Alex wrapped her arms around her shoulder while her mouth forms an ‘oh’ as she caught on.

“But wait.” She shook her head. “I wanna help, I really do. But I have club meetings after school, then I study at the library close to my house, and...”

“Shut up, Jane!” Alex interrupted her and rolled her eyes. “Do you really want to sacrifice this poor girl’s, who is your friend, by the way, grade? And all for a stupid club meeting and library that you could go to anytime?” Alex said in a persuasive tone while gesturing to me. I pouted and bat my eyelids at her, letting some tears come forth just to add a little it of effect. “Do you really want to say no to that?” Alex asked in a sad tone and pointed at me.