Chapter 38: Girl Time

Time seemed to stand still for me, and it felt like the day was longer than it should be. My chest felt heavy like a million tons on my soft beating heart. The pain was unbearable.

I had never felt like this before. This aching feeling in my chest that won't go awa

I stared in despair at the tiny box in my hand, wrapped in a gift wrap, and containing Ryan's present. There was no hope for us, and I was a fool for pushing forward when he didn't care.

I wanted to curl up in my bed and weep till my eyes turn red, but sadly, School was taking forever to end. Why did losing Ryan feel so bad? Like a piece of my heart was missing and the other trying to keep on beating even though it was painfully bleeding.

I sighed again for the umpteenth time that day in despair, praying the bell would go off so I can go weep my heart out.

"Yech! You look like hell." Alex scrunched her nose in disgust as she stared at my disheveled state. Ignoring her, I kept on walking with a blank stare on my face towards the parking lot.

Jane and Alex were behind me, but they didn't know Ryan and me just broke up. As for Ryan, I hadn't seen him all day. The same went for Jenny. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together. They probably ditched class and making out in on the bleachers together...like Ryan and I used to.

I slumped heavily on the backseat of Alex's car as she took the driver's seat and Jane the Passenger's. My eyes stared out the window in hopes of catching a glimpse of him, but there was no sign of him. Only students were loitering around. Where could he be?

"Okay...what is wrong with you?" Jane asked, staring back at me in concern. "You've been acting strange since morning, and I haven't seen you with Ryan. Isn't today his birthday? And shouldn't he be the one to give you a ride? Did something happen last night?" She kept asking while I stared lazily at her.

"I'm fine. Just a bit tired, that's all. Can we focus on something else?" I asked tiredly, not wanting to talk about it just yet. It was still too painful. I stared at Alex, who was fixing her makeup in the sun visor. She was oddly quiet. The Alex I knew would pester me with questions if she noticed my gloomy expression. Plus she loved a good gossip.

"Alex, where were you today. I hardly saw you." I threw the question at her as I rarely saw her today.

I think I saw her freeze up as she slowly turned to me and Jane. We were still waiting for an answer as I cocked an eyebrow at her.

"What are you talking about? You know I ditch classes when I'm bored." She shrugged and went back to checking herself.

"Yeah...but you missed three classes you had with me today." I squinted my eyes at her, trying to find if she was hiding something.

"Chemistry, English, and Maths," I added.

"Three classes I hate. So..." She shrugged once more, not staring at us, though. Okay, she was definitely hiding something.

"You hate all classes," Jane said matter of fact, cocking her head at her.

"I was with Josh, alright!" She declared in vexation.

"Josh was in those classes." I countered quickly.

"Oh, my God! What's with the interrogation?" She exclaimed out loud in frustration.

"We're just concerned and curious," Jane answered while I continued to suspiciously stare at her.

"Well, stop it. It's irritating me." She huffed before starting the engine and gripped the steering wheel.