working waitress

Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Venus hummed a merry little tune as she strolled through the pub collecting orders. Today had been a good day for her. Nobody was rude, she didn't mess up once, and she had her dad by her side all day. It was hard to get used to at first, but meeting new people and being able to put smiles on their faces is what she lived for. She was the youngest person working there this winter, so she didn't make any work friends, but her dad always kept her company throughout the day.

The hufflepuff giggled as her father stuck two straws in his mouth to look like seal tusks. He always did stupid things to make her laugh. The girl walked over to a table and manually wiped down the counter for the next customer since she wasn't allowed to use magic yet.

She had met up with Rosie last week. They had an amazing time hanging out at Venus's father's house. It was weird being together without Thea, but it always made their bond stronger. Venus would trust the girls with her life.

"Excuse me, can i get a giggly water?" A customer asked her. Venus gave her a soft smile and went to fetch the water. It was getting chilly since christmas time was nearing, and she always dreaded going into the back of the store because it was always kept really cold.

Venus shivered as she pulled a water out of storage, not liking that her uniform didnt have long sleeves. She would much rather be in front of a fire with a glass of warm tea than in the cold storage, but this would have to do for now.

Upon giving the customer their water, she glanced at the clock and realized she was done for the day. She waved to her father to signal that she was leaving, as he worked a few more hours than she did.

She took off her apron and turned around so she could go to their room, as she and her father were staying in the leaky cauldron until he could get a place of his own.

Eager to get a jumper over her bare shoulders, she didn't realize there was someone behind her. "Oomf!" She exclaimed as she almost ran into the boy. It was Remus!

"Venus? What are you doing here? Not that I'm not happy to see you, of course I am! Just didn't expect it is all." He mentally cursed himself at his inability to make conversation with the girl.

"Did I not mention i was working at the Leaky Cauldron over break?" When he nodded, she laughed. "Sorry, guess I forgot. What are you doing in Diagon Alley?"

She turned to walk down through the noisy pub so they could continue their conversation in quiet. "My father is picking out an anniversary present for mum, though I got bored after the first hour in the jewelery shop." He laughed, making her laugh too.