To The Rescue

The next morning Clary was called downstairs and saw Jace, leaning against the wall. He looked up at her as she walked over. For a split second Clary thought she saw some emotion in his golden eyes, affection, but then it was gone. His gorgeous eyes were cold as ice, like he was looking at his worst nightmare. "C'mon we have a mission, a feeding den in Williamsburg, don't slow me down." he said, striding towards the exit of the institute. Clary had to jog to catch up to him but when she did, she took hold of his arm and spinned him to face her, "Jace wait, you've been avoiding me, and although i respect you priva-" he cut her off midway through her sentence, " Clary, don't. now isn't the time, every second we waste talking is another mundane that could end up dead," He reached his hand up and tucked a strand of hair hair behind her ear, his eyes softening, " I'll talk to you about it later, okay? promise." and with that he turned and walked out the door, slower this time, so she could walk beside him.

Ten minutes later she was walking through the abandoned pizza shop, Jace next to her. "stay here, I'll go search the kitchens." He said, running down the hallway before she could say anything. She moved to follow him but arms wrapped around her, covering her mouth and holding her close, "make a move, and I kill you, understand?" said a deep seductive voice. It was a woman, she could tell, despite her deep voice, she had skinny wrists and wore a sweet, fruity perfume. She nodded but her eyes searched the dimly lit room, looking for an escape. "Your little boyfriend is going to try and kill my friends, but he is no match for them. They will kill him, and you will never see him again. But it is okay my child, for i will take you to your father. Hes been dying to meet you, and he already has your mother" She felt the woman smile against her face and knowing it was a cruel smile she stiffened, panicking, but before she could try to get free she heard the sound of a sword slicing through the air, and then the arms around her were gone. "Typical Vampire, always underestimating a Shadowhunter," said Jace, wiping the blood off his sword, "C'mon, I already killed the ones who were here but more will be on their way." He took her hand and moved to walk, but realising she wasn't following he turned and gave her a questioning look. "Valentine," Clary began, her voice shaking," That vampire, said that Valentine has my mum. That's not possible. Valentine died in a fire before i was even born!" Seeing how scared she was, Jace pulled her into his arms, stroking her hair, "Hey, we'll find her, and if Valentine is alive, we'll stop him, together."