Chapter 10

It had been a few weeks since mine and Draco's last encounter. 

I was surprised, but he had kept the secret. 

I couldn't express to him how thankful I was. 

It would all just be too much to deal with if everyone knew that Snape was my father. There would be lots of questions, and that point was proven when Malfoy asked A LOT of questions. I couldn't even answer some. 

When he asked about my mother, I got nervous. 

I didn't even know my mom. 

If it wasn't already obvious, Snape wasn't the most affectionate or compassionate person in the world, and I'm still surprised that he was with someone. And he got her pregnant. With me. 

I never asked questions about my mother when I was with Snape. Sure, he was technically my father but had never been a great "dad." Like I said, not very affectionate. 

I didn't really think of him as my dad, more just like my potions professor. I know, it seems sad, but things are better this way. 

The Weasley's are my true parents. 

I originally lived with my aunt and uncle, but they were not good guardians. They never bought any food for me, or clothes or really anything for that matter. So, when I became friends with Ron and told him this, I was ecstatic when Molly offered for me to stay with them. 

I was quite nervous at first. They clearly pitied me and were only offering because I had nowhere else to go. What if I was a bad houseguest? What if they didn't like me?

But I soon realized I was overreacting. 

They were the nicest family I had ever met. 

The Burrow always smelled like fall and Molly cooked the best food. I especially loved going home with them for Christmas. 

In our first year at Hogwarts, Hermione went home, but Harry, Ron and I stayed at Hogwarts. I vividly remember Ron getting a knitted sweater with a big 'R' on it from Molly. He had told me she knits one for him every Christmas. I always wished I had a family who cared that much about me. So when I spent my first Christmas at The Burrow, and I opened a sweater Molly had knitted for me, I almost burst into tears. 

I finally felt like I had a real family. 

I had scheduled meetings with Snape to talk about my life. He didn't seem very interested, however. 

I tried not to let it get to me, but I wish he would care at least a little bit. 

But I didn't tell Malfoy any of this. 

I just told him that Snape was my father, I didn't know who my mother was and that I pretty much lived with the Weasleys. 

I could tell he didn't like that I hung around with Harry, Ron and Hermione, but that wasn't his decision. 

Even though it bothered him, he tried not to let it show. 

Ever since we talked in the common room, we had become quite close. He opened up to me about a lot of things, but nothing too deep. I could tell he hadn't had the best childhood. But it was nice to talk to him. He told me random facts about himself and asked me lots of questions. 

It honestly seemed like he actually cared. 

I tried not to think about that too often. Many people in my life had left, but if I didn't let anyone else in, they couldn't leave. 

But I couldn't help myself when I was around Malfoy. 

He was so... charming?

We always did lots of fun things together. 

We'd sneak out after curfew and lay under the stars, occasionally making small conversation. We'd have picnics together at lunch and study together. We'd walk through the halls, laughing uncontrollably about something one of us would say. 

I felt happy around him, and that was a nice change. 

Spending time with him had also made me a bit more open with other people. I became friends with people from other houses, like Cedric Diggory from Hufflepuff in particular. 

We had a nice friendship but it wasn't the same as mine and Malfoy's. 

Our friendship was quite casual, nothing really to it, whereas mine and Malfoy's always kept me guessing. I was always wondering what the next thing was that he had planned for us to do. Mine and Cedric's friendship was more like a sibling relationship. Giving each other boy or girl advice or working on homework. He was also someone that I didn't feel nervous to show my emotions to. 

But, the more I hung out with him, the more I realized how Malfoy would become distant. 

He would ignore me for several days in a row, and then start talking to me like nothing had ever happened. I ignored it at first, but it started happening more frequently, and I was beginning to become bothered by it. 

I was allowed to hang out with whoever I wanted, I didn't need his permission. 

And why would he even care? Malfoy and I were just friends... right?

That's what I had always thought. 

But I remembered that night when he pushed me against the wall. He hands tight around my waist and face so close to mine. His eyes so captivating I could barely hold myself up. His warm breath against my cheek. His cold rings against my skin. 

"What are you doing?" I asked myself, "why are you thinking of him like this? He was just teasing you it didn't mean anything!"

Or did it?  

                                                               * * * * 

One warm afternoon, I was sitting under an old oak tree by the Black Lake, working on some homework with Cedric. 

It was a very peaceful day. The warm wind blowing through my hair, the fall leaves scattered around us. The smell of fresh air that always brought a smile to face. 

I was lost in my thoughts when I suddenly heard Cedric's voice. He seemed anxious. 

"Y/n?" He asked. 

I looked into his light brown eyes, worry plastered over his face.

"Is everything alright?" I asked him, as I noticed him twirling his fingers in his hands, nervously. 

"I-i have to tell you something," he said, not looking into my eyes. 

What did he have to tell me?

"And you can't tell anyone," he finished with. 

Now I was starting to twirl my fingers in my hands.

He had never been nervous to tell me anything before... what did he need to tell me that was making him so nervous?