Chapter 19

It had been about a week since that night at the Black Lake, and I still thought about it every day. 

He told me once that his dad had always told him that crying and showing emotions was for the weak. He told me that he would never cry, not even when he was alone.

That broke my heart. 

His father influenced him in a very negative way and I was constantly trying to tell him that his father was wrong.

He believed me but was still embarrassed to cry in front of me, so that night when he cried and poured out his emotions to me, I had to forgive him. I knew how hard that must have been and how brave he was for doing so. 

Ever since that night, we've never left each others sides. 

Our friendship now was even stronger than before. We were together every minute we could. It was wonderful to have someone around all the time. 

We started doing the things we used to do. 

We'd sneak out almost every day in the middle of the night and lay by the Black Lake, looking up at the stars. Sometimes I would read him a story, usually a Muggle book. He used to hate them, but the first time I read him one, he realized he actually really enjoyed them. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is in your hand?" Draco asked, curiously, attempting to grab the object I was holding. I quickly whipped my arm away and giggled.

"It's a Muggle book," I replied.

I looked at him, and the look on his face made me burst out into laughter. He looked disgusted but intrigued.

"Wait... do you read Muggle stories?" He asked, staring at me.

"Yes, I do... why?" I asked, trying to seem serious. The way he got so defensive about Muggle items was very funny.

He was raised to not like anyone other than pure-bloods and Slytherins. He was always told to not like Muggles, and he shouldn't have anything to do with them. This bothered me, but it wasn't his fault. He was always told to think that way. I was slowly trying to change his beliefs.

Step 1: Read him a Muggle story.

"Oh, Merlin, why do you read those boring books?" He asked while laying a blanket down for us to lay on.

"What do you mean, 'why do I read them'? They're not boring, they're actually quite enjoyable," I answered, matter of factly.

It was true, I very much enjoyed reading. I had always loved Shakespeare and loved the way the characters spoke in his stories. But now that I thought of it, bringing Romeo and Juliet probably wasn't the best choice, considering how uniquely the book was written.

"I thought I could read some of it to you. If you give it a chance, I bet you'll like it," I said.

He looked at me like I was crazy.

"Do you seriously think that I will enjoy that stupid book? Me, Draco Malfoy?" He asked.

"You might! If you give it a tryyyy..." I replied while sitting down on the blanket.

"I'm not reading that," he said while sitting down next to me.

"Ok, here's the deal. I'll read you the first few pages and if you don't like it, I'll never attempt to read you another Muggle book," I offered.